League of Legends maker Riot Games has agreed a $100m (£74m) settlement to finally end its long-running gender discrimination lawsuit .
The settlement, announced at the end of December, brings to a close the class action suit filed by employees back in 2018.
Numerous staff members, past and present, said Riot Games had been a toxic place to work where sexism was commonplace. More than 2000 women joined the suit.
Out of the $100m total, $80m will be paid to women in full-time and contract positions. Riot will also reserve $6m each year for three years to adjust pay, create 40 full-time positions for affected contractors, and to have third-parties monitor its progress.
The DFEH then suggested a possible figure near $400m – something Riot replied was “reckless”. $100m, then, seems a compromise for both sides.
"If entered by the court, this decree will compensate employees and contractors affected by sex discrimination and harassment, ensure lasting change in this workplace, and send the message that all industries in California, including the gaming industry, must provide equal pay and workplaces free from discrimination and harassment," said Kevin Kish, the DFEH’s director.
“While we’re proud of how far we’ve come since 2018, we must also take responsibility for the past,” Riot Games said in a statement . “We hope that this settlement properly acknowledges those who had negative experiences at Riot and demonstrates our desire to lead by example in bringing more accountability and equality to the games industry.”
- Is There Life After ‘League Of Legends’? Riot Bets Big On Its First New Game In 10 Years.
- New Jersey agrees to house inmates based on gender identity after discrimination lawsuit
- 5 anchors will no longer work at NY1 after suit settlement
- James Franco Agrees to Pay $2.2 Million in Sexual-Misconduct Lawsuit Settlement
- James Franco to Pay $2.2 Million in Sexual Misconduct Lawsuit Settlement - E! Online
- US female firefighters fight discrimination with lawsuits
- Women’s World Cup brings opportunity to investigate broader gender inequality in sport
- How an Instagram Post Led to an N.F.L. Cheerleader’s Discrimination Case
- James Franco agrees $2.2m settlement in sexual misconduct lawsuit
- James Franco agrees to over $2 million settlement in sexual misconduct suit
- James Franco to pay $2.2 million in sexual misconduct, fraud settlement
- Google's sexual harassment settlement includes stringent reforms to internal policies
- James Franco, Who Supported Time's Up Anti-Sexual Harassment Group, Agrees to Pay $2.2 Million to Settle a Sexual Misconduct Case
- Canadian boxer Bujold wins appeal to compete at Tokyo Games
- Sky Sports joins social media boycott this weekend to combat online abuse and discrimination
- North Carolina Governor Tries to Step Back From Bias Law
- 'It's about healing': Palm Islanders to share $30m class action payment
- Federal Court Sides With Trans Student Barred From Preferred School Bathroom
- In Religious Arbitration, Scripture Is the Rule of Law
- The Story Behind the Police Commissioner’s Handwritten Stonewall Apology
Riot Games agrees $100m gender discrimination settlement have 480 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at January 4, 2022. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.