Our Game of the Year 2021 was a surprise for some of you, I’m sure. It was – and is – a game that found a powerful new way to tell a story. A game that invited our lives and experiences into it by keeping the subject of its story out of direct sight.
It’s a simple game, a game about unpacking boxes, and it was inspired when co-creators Wren Brier and Tim Dawson did exactly that: moved in together. It was an idea that struck Brier almost immediately but she struggled mustering the confidence to build it out. With Dawson’s encouragement and help, though, she managed it, and years later, here we are. Unpacking is a rare game that resonates quickly and deeply with nearly everyone.
Today’s special guest on The Eurogamer Podcast, then, is Wren Brier, and this is the story of how Unpacking was made (on Windows 7!) and more. I particularly enjoyed talking about the deeper takeaways of the game in the second-half of the conversation.
Episode seven is now available to all, either to watch and listen here (and apologies for the issues with Brier’s headset microphone) or on all major podcasting platforms. If you use a platform it doesn’t appear on, please let me know.
Remember, subscribers to Eurogamer get new episodes of the podcast before everyone else! The new episode – episode eight – which features the hilarious double-act of Dan Marshall and Ben Ward, creators of the Dan and Ben series of games among many others, will be available later today. Head over the subscriptions area of our website to find out more.
- Apple Podcasts to Gain Downloaded Episode Controls, Annual Subscription Plans, and Hosting Partnerships
- Podcasters can now offer annual subscriptions through Apple Podcasts
- Apple Podcasts launching ‘Delegated Delivery’ service with third-party hosting integration
- Apple is making it easier to distribute subscription podcasts
- Awards HQ May 16: ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars,’ Norm Macdonald Special, Should the Golden Globes Return?
- He’s Back! Phil Rosenthal Of ‘Somebody Feed Phil’ On His New Netflix Season, Starting May 25
- How early traumas can affect your relationship with money
- A new bundle of tabletop RPGs is raising money for reproductive rights
- How this 12-year-old started investing at age 7
- ‘Big Sky’: Reba McEntire Joins Season 3 Of ABC Drama As Series Regular
- Elon Musk says his new Optimus robot coming in 2023 ‘will be worth MORE than Tesla’ – and it will do all your chores
- Academy set up by scientists to allow 'free exchange of ideas'
- The best Android apps for May 2022 | Digital Trends
Podcast: unpacking Unpacking with creator Wren Brier have 443 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at January 24, 2022. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.