Sony has announced an official name and an array of technical details for its upcoming, under-wraps PlayStation VR successor for PlayStation 5.
PlayStation VR2, as it’s now officially known, will boast 4K HDR OLED panels, offering a 110-degree field of view. These panels will have a resolution of 2000×2040 per eye, and frame rates of 90/120Hz.
You’ll interact with games using the previously-revealed PlayStation 5 VR controllers – now officially branded the PlayStation VR2 Sense.
Integrated cameras within the headset will track your movement, as well as the Sense controllers. Eye tracking will mean you can look in a specific direction to serve as an additional input.
Built-in “Tempest 3D AudioTech” and headset vibration is also included, with Sony giving examples of use for the latter such as feeling “a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward”.
Sony first announced it was creating a “next generation” PlayStation VR headset in February 2021, when it confirmed the device would connect to PS5 via a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use.
That initial announcement was designed to encourage VR game developers to get onboard with Sony’s plans.
Now, nearly a year on, we’re clearly closer to launch – but there’s still no big reveal of the headset itself – or word on pricing or release date.
Finally, Sony’s announcement today also included brief word of a new Horizon spin-off for PlayStation VR2, named Horizon Call of the Mountain, and a glimpse of it in action:
Here’s today’s list of PlayStation VR2 technical specs in detail for you to browse:
PlayStation VR2 headset:
- Display method: OLED
- Panel resolution: 2000 x 2040 per eye
- Panel refresh rate: 90Hz, 120Hz
- Lens separation: Adjustable
- Field of View: Approx. 110 degrees
- Sensors: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer) Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
- Cameras: 4 cameras for headset and controller tracking, IR camera for eye tracking per eye
- Feedback: Vibration on headset
- Communication with PS5: USB Type-C
- Audio Input: Built-in microphone
- Output: Stereo headphone jack
PlayStation VR2 Sense controllers:
- Buttons: [Right]
- PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button. [Left]
- PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button
- Sensing / Tracking Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer) Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking
- Feedback: Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)
- Port: USB Type-C Port
- Communication: Bluetooth Ver5.1
- Battery Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
- PlayStation 5 supply could be limited at launch due to high price
- Google Pixel 4a Geekbench listing reveals key specs
- PlayStation 5: Sony gives first look at new PS5 console and games
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 specs and features leaked
- Infinix Hot 9 and Hot 9 Pro to launch in India today: Likely specs
- You can Save 15% on Playstation wallet top-ups in ShopTo sale
- Moto E7 spotted online price and specifications revealed
- Sony shares first look at PlayStation 5 box art
- PS5 design finally revealed with TWO new models coming this year – plus Resident Evil 8 and Hitman 3
- PS5 price and release date – PlayStation experts reveal their BEST predictions yet
- The best PlayStation 4 deals you can get in July 2020
- PlayStation 5 Pre-Order Info: Sign Up For Pre-Order Page Notifications At Major Stores
- PlayStation 5 Pre-Orders: Sign Up For Pre-Order Page Notifications At Major Stores
- PlayStation 5 Pre-Orders: Sign Up For Pre-Order Page Notifications For Major Stores
- PS5: All 26 games announced for the next PlayStation, from Spider-Man to Grand Theft Auto
- Horizon Forbidden West reveal trailer song 'Promise of the West' now available on music services
- PlayStation reveals PS5 game box design with Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- PS5 games list – all 25 PlayStation 5 titles revealed including Resident Evil 8 and Hitman 3
- PlayStation fan creates ‘all black’ PS5 and disappointed gamers think it looks MUCH better than the real thing
- PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X 'will go head-to-head' at upcoming tech event
PlayStation VR2 tech specs revealed have 651 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at January 5, 2022. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.