Sony has reportedly decided to delay its previous plan to discontinue PlayStation 4 manufacturing, in light of the ongoing supply problems which still plague PS5.
PS4 manufacturing had been set to cease at the end of 2021, Bloomberg reported today, but has been extended throughout 2022 – meaning around a million more last-gen consoles will now be created.
Sony’s decision is largely due to the ongoing supply chain issues affecting PS5 chips, which have made stock of the newer console scarce even a year after launch.
For those looking to buy a PlayStation console in 2022, Sony’s hope is that by providing a cheaper alternative – and more importantly, one that is actually available – casual customers will be satisfied, and some stock pressure on PS5 may be alleviated.
Keeping PS4 factories churning will also help Sony with “more leeway when negotiating with manufacturing partners for a better deal,” Bloomberg wrote.
A Sony spokesperson has responded to the report with confirmation PS4 would continue to be made this year, although the company did not publicly confirm the report of its earlier plan to wind production down.
More than 116m PS4 consoles have now been sold worldwide, making it one of the most successful consoles of all time. (PS2, the best-selling console ever, shifted 155m.)
Sony has revised down the number of PS5 consoles it expects to be able to sell this financial year, blaming chip shortages and impacts from Covid to global distribution.
Meanwhile, several of Sony’s upcoming high-profile exclusives will launch on both PS4 and PS5, including Horizon Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok .
- Jobs report provides some encouragement amid continued worries
- Brent oil could hit $100 by end of 2019, report says
- Nick Cannon will host 'Wendy Williams Show' as Wendy continues 'extended break'
- Report: Lake Michigan oil spill would cost nearly $2B
- PlayStation's Recent Moves Could Spell Trouble In 2019 And Beyond
- Newton's Biggest Issue, According To City Council Candidates
- Where they stand: GOP candidates for governor on Michigan issues
- New extended-stay hotels may help Rock County housing market
- Climbers Rally While National Parks Continue to Suffer During Government Shutdown
- Mumbai 2018 Dispatch: Strong Selections Prompt Insane Demand, Focus On Women Continues
- Defence chiefs tight-lipped over extending Royal Navy’s Harpoon missile system
- People Are Mad That Apple’s Been Slowing Down Old Phones to Help Battery Issues
- Kodak Inks Deals With Studios to Extend Film's Life
- From Bob Dole to Krugman: The Shame of Those Who Ignored VA’s Issues to Score Political Points
- US automakers report lower profits, see pitfalls for rest of year
- U.S. automakers report lower profits, see pitfalls for rest of year
- From The Elephant’s Mouth: Fox News Reporter Offers Republican Talking Points As Hard News Analysis
- BFI-commissioned report critical of UK film industry surfaces after three years
- U.K. Film Council issues upbeat report
- Hurst’s loanee dilemma continues as Blues wait on Donacien work permit issues
PlayStation 4 lifespan reportedly extended, as PS5 supply issues continue have 462 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at January 12, 2022. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.