Playground Games co-founder and studio director Gavin Raeburn has left the company after 12 years.
Microsoft shared the news in a brief statement today, first reported by Windows Central . It’s unclear where Raeburn is headed next.
Raeburn leaves a company he co-founded back in 2009 and helped grow into one of Microsoft’s most important studios – home to the hugely-successful Forza Horizon series and, at some point, the next iteration of Fable.
A veteran of the video games industry, Raeburn served 24 years at Codemasters, beginning in the age of the Commodore 64. It was there he worked on Dirt, Grid and F1, before co-founding Playground.
At Playground, Raeburn and his co-founders Trevor Williams and Ralph Fulton grew the Forza Horizon offshoot into Xbox’s biggest and best racing franchise. Its success has eclipsed that of the original Forza Motorsport, and helped win Playground the job of rebooting Fable.
But while Forza Horizon 5, released to acclaim last year, is off to another flying start, Fable is still nowhere to be seen.
Originally announced via teaser trailer back in July 2020 , no new details on the Fable reboot have been released since.
“After 12 years working on five award-winning Forza Horizon games, Gavin Raeburn is leaving Playground Games as studio director,” Alan Hartman, Microsoft CVP of Forza and Fable, stated today.
“A founding member of Playground Games, we thank Gav for his leadership and contributions to the Forza franchise and wish him all the best. Co-founder Trevor Williams will transition from general manager to studio head effective immediately, as the Playground Games team focuses on updates to Forza Horizon 5 and the development of Fable.”
Back in 2020, Microsoft described its plans for a Fable reboot as “a new beginning” for the fantasy franchise. Eurogamer first heard word of Playground’s involvement with a new Fable back in 2018 , years before it was made official.
- Fifa: the video game that changed football
- From Star Trek to board games: meet Wil Wheaton, king of the nerds
- The best video gaming consoles for 2020
- The battle royale games of 2020
- The latest Fable 4 rumor doesn't hold up, even if the game is probably real
- PlatinumGames co-founder criticizes Nintendo Switch home menu’s poor design
- Is Minecraft shutting down? Players panic over game’s servers switching off in 2020
- How to get into the games industry – an insiders' guide
- UK video game industry gets £4m funding boost
- NVIDIA Unveils GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, World’s Fastest Gaming GPU
- American trade union launches campaign for games industry unionisation
- New Game Developer Unionization Effort Launches
- The rise and rise of tabletop gaming
- Xbox Game Pass Is Losing Two Great Games Very Soon
- New Batman Game Teaser Released
- City collector stops construction on SoBo playground
- Xbox Game Pass games list: January 2020 games plus every Xbox One, 360 and Xbox Live game currently available
- Asian Games football bronze medal slips through Vietnam’s gasp after UAE shootout defeat
- Senators: State Department Watchdog Investigated Christopher Steele Meeting, But Failed To Interview Key Participants
- State Department Official Helped Christopher Steele With Business Concerns, Emails Show
Playground Games co-founder departs have 486 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at January 5, 2022. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.