In his Confessions, written around the year 400 AD, Saint Augustine mentions his shock upon coming across a friend who was reading a book without saying the words out loud as he went. Reading in your head! It’s odd in 2021 to read about Augustine’s astonishment and realise that the act of silently reading to yourself was an act that had to be learned. It arrived a surprisingly long time after written language.
I read about Saint Augustine and his strange discovery in Anne Trubek’s new book, “The History and Uncertain Future of Handwriting.” It’s a fascinating examination of a subject I hadn’t really given much thought to. Handwriting – is there much to say about that? It turns out there is.
- Skeleton shows man died by one of history's cruellest and most painful execution methods
- Black History Month: Taking a trip through thousands of years of black history on a single London cruise
- UPSC Civil Service Mains 2021: How to prepare for world history
- Australia's Olympic history: 10 memorable moments, part II
- History of Pizza: Google celebrates pizza with interactive Doodle puzzle game
- 'A kind of social disease’ Billy Connolly talks snubbing 'weird' Parkinson’s help groups
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie: The Oral History
- Sir Don Bradman's History-Making Bat Sold For Record-Breaking Amount Auction, Becomes World's Most Expensive Cricket Willow
- Woman shares sister's weird' baby name – and others fear child will get bullied
- A beginner’s guide to the weird world of Captain Beefheart
- Sleaford Mods say Nottingham Arena success feels weird
- 10 of the most eerie, terrifying or weird places in England worth a day trip
- Family lose £170k life savings after buying dream home due to 'weird' contract detail
- Don't Let These Weird Social Security Rules Catch You Off Guard
- Stuck Jet Stream, La Niña Causing Weird Weather: AP Explainer
- The Timey-Wimey History of Doctor Who's Time War
- The Complete History Of Marvel Superhero Movies: 1990-2008
- The future of Black storytelling: ‘We need creative freedom to write about different topics’
- EXPLAINER: Stuck jet stream, La Nina causing weird weather
Off Topic: The weird history of handwriting have 328 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at December 7, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.