Halo Infinite’s single-player campaign was once planned as a vast Zelda-like experience – but this was drastically cut back, as part of 343 Industries’ plan to reduce the game’s size by almost two-thirds for its final version.
The game was originally inspired by Nintendo’s series, as the developers aimed to create an open-world version of Halo.
However, a number of issues meant the entire game had to be considerably stripped back.
Those issues include staff attrition rates at 343 Industries, conflicting creative decisions, and the developer’s game engine (named Faber) being difficult to use – so much so that a move to Unreal was considered for months, according to journalist Jason Schreier.
A couple tidbits that were trimmed from the article:
— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) December 8, 2021
The game was also delayed multiple times, with a 2019 multiplayer release and 2020 campaign release considered.
Eventually Joseph Staten, lead writer for the first three games, was brought in to turn the Halo ship around. Despite Microsoft remaining adamant that Halo Infinite would be a launch game for their new console, Staten persuaded his bosses to let 343 take their time.
“Here’s a list of all the things we could do to make this game excellent,” he told them. “Here’s what more time buys us.”
Among the changes made were improvements to the graphics and roaming Marines that follow the player and assist on their journey.
Still, Infinite isn’t the finished product originally aimed for, with co-op mode and the customisable Forge set for release next year .
Further story DLC could add in some of that cut open world.
Our Halo Infinite review suggests the game is a “jumping off point for Halo’s bold new future”.
- Halo Infinite is not a full open world game, demo was on a PC
- Halo Infinite Looks To The Past To Bring The Series Into The Present
- Halo: Infinite Gameplay Was the Win Xbox Series X Needs | Digital Trends
- Halo Infinite's Gamescom No-Show Has Fans Rightfully Worried | Digital Trends
- Gamescom 2021 Brings Over 40 Game Reveals at Opening Night Live; Halo Infinite, Horizon Forbidden West Get Release Dates
- Halo Infinite release date FINALLY announced alongside gorgeous new console
- Pre-order Halo Infinite Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 | Digital Trends
- This is everything we know about "Halo Infinite's" cross-platform functionality
- Here's Halo Infinite Gameplay, Including The New Grappling Hook
- Halo Infinite release date: Here’s when Microsoft will launch its ‘most-popular’ game
- Halo Infinite PC Requirements Show How Big the Game Is | Digital Trends
- From 'Halo Infinite' to 'COD: Vanguard,' here's what to expect from Gamescom 2021
- Halo Infinite release date is December – official reveal tonight claim multiple sources
- Gamescom latest: New Call of Duty trailer, Halo: Infinite release dates, and much more
- Xbox still hasn’t announced Halo Infinite release date despite 90 minute Gamescom event
- Microsoft's 'very' limited edition Halo Infinite Xbox Series X is already impossible to get at a reasonable price
- Halo Infinite shouldn't be delayed because of co-op, but it desperately needs a release date
- Best Halo Games: Ranking The Mainline Series Ahead Of Halo Infinite
- Halo Infinite release date revealed, here's when the campaign and multiplayer go live
- Halo Infinite Multiplayer Deep Dive: 343 Reveals New Info
Halo Infinite reportedly once had a "vast, Zelda-like" open world have 564 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at December 8, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.