Discord is testing a premium membership option which will allow server owners to monetise their communities further and sell access to exclusive channels.
Previously, Discord users have been able to grant channel access to users, or groups of users, but not for payment within Discord itself. Typically, payment services such as Paypal, or groups of users signed up to a Patreon, will be cross-referenced instead.
Now, Discord is working to bring paid channel functionality into its popular chat client (thanks, Engadget ), with server owners able to set pricing tiers and access levels.
As for how much these should cost, Discord has some suggestions. A minimum fee for a premium channel is recommended as $3 per month, with $100 per month as the maximum.
While gating access to channel content might seem a exclusionary measure, Discord’s aim seems to be to allow servers to gain easier financial support from members – while keeping the payment within its ecosystem. Discord itself will take a 10 percent cut of subscriptions.
The feature is currently in testing now, before it is rolled out more widely.
- Spotify launches new premium plan for couples, will allow two people to split the cost of membership
- Japanese channel launched in Việt Nam
- Discord, a quarantine tech darling, raises another $100 million
- Spotify is launching a premium plan for couples
- Spotify's new Premium Duo subscription is for couples
- Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal
- Spotify Testing Cheaper Subscription Plan for Couples
- Coronavirus in Slovakia: Testing is targeted, imported infection reckoned with
- YouTube Music Premium Enters Crowded India Streaming Market
- Spotify brings Premium Duo plan to India for Rs 159 a month
- Hero Xtreme 160R Test Ride Registrations Open Ahead Of Launch: Here Are All Details
- YouTube TV is the company’s new live TV subscription service
- Spotify Duo gets you TWO memberships for £12.99 – saving you £7 a month
- Discord ditches gaming branding in a bid to become a general purpose chat app
- FuboTV increases monthly subscription to $65
- A 12-month Humble Choice subscription is now 40% off
- Inside YouTube's New Subscription Music Streaming Service
- How does Hulu work? Pricing, plans, channels, and how to get it
- Spotify Debuts a ‘Premium Duo’ Subscription Tier Aimed at Couples
- Apple TV Plus price, 2020 shows, channels, devices, and everything you need to know
Discord testing premium memberships for channel subscriptions have 358 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at December 8, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.