Steam Deck Verified is Valve’s newly announced way of evaluating how well Steam games play on its upcoming Steam Deck handheld.
Valve unveiled this corner of the Steam Deck compatibility program today, describing Steam Deck Verified as a four-tier grading system. Here’s how Steam games will be ranked under this new system:
- Verified : for games that play well on Steam Deck without any additional setup. Ghostrunner is highlighted in Valve’s announcement, but many more games already fit this criteria.
- Playable : these games “may require some manual tweaking” to play well on Steam Deck, Valve says. The company points to Team Fortress 2 as one example.
- Unsupported : these games are totally unplayable on Steam Deck. Half-Life Alyx, a VR exclusive, is an obvious example here.
- Unknown : Valve has yet to evaluate these games for Steam Deck playability. There are a zillion games on Steam, so expect to see this rating pretty often, especially while Steam Deck Verified is still getting off the ground.
A game has to check four key boxes to earn a Verified grade. The Steam Deck is basically a handheld gamepad with a screen on it, so Verified games will need full controller support with fitting icons, for one, as well as on-screen keyboard support. Their display settings will also need to accommodate the Steam Deck’s default resolution of 1280×800 (preferred) or 1280×720 (minimum) without mangling text legibility.
Every part of a Verified game, from launchers to anti-cheat support, will also have to be compatible with Proton, the Windows compatibility layer that bridges gaps between some games and Steam Deck’s Linux operating system. And finally, Verified games mustn’t have any compatibility warnings – part of Valve’s more nebulous criteria for “seamlessness.”
Valve says it’s already begun the herculean task of evaluating “the entire Steam catalog on Deck” and will display compatibility ratings via the Steam Store on the handheld, with a dedicated “Great on Deck” tab highlighting Verified games.
“You’ll be able to see Steam Deck compatibility details for every title that has been reviewed, giving you the information you need to inform your playing and purchasing decisions,” Valve says. This should also make it easier to see how well your existing Steam library would play on the handheld.
Valve advised that a game’s rating may change over time, so we’re sure to see some fluctuations as games and the Steam Deck are tweaked. The review process FAQ states that developers can update their game and request a re-evaluation to improve their Steam Deck rating, for instance. Valve expects each review process to be turned around “within a week of submission,” but acknowledged that this time frame will change “based on the current size and complexity of the other titles in the queue.”
Here’s an encouraging frontrunner for Valve’s handheld: The Witcher 3 looks seriously good on Steam Deck .
- Steam for iPhone and iPad: Everything you need to know!
- The number one Verified site to sell gift cards, bitcoin, cash app in Nigeria – Diamondcards.com.ng
- Terraria Adds Steam Workshop Support With Patch 1.4.2
- supports Valve’s Steam Controller but not traditional gamepads
- Best Oculus Quest 2 SteamVR Games to Play with Oculus Link 2021
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (April 5, 2021)
- Steam Game Festival is now Steam Next Fest, and returns in June
- World of Tanks is rolling onto Steam later this year
- Wraith: The Oblivion - Afterlife review: Playing Clue in the afterlife
- Valheim on PC, Mac, PS5, Xbox – where can you actually play it?
- Mix it up with these 5 really weird PC games you can play right now
- Everything we know about Life is Strange: True Colors
- Where To Preorder Monster Hunter Rise: Preorder Bonuses, Deluxe Edition, And More
- Best free Mac games
- Hearthstone's Big Dragon Revamp Makes Them Big, Marvelous Cards Again
- 5 PlayStation Vita games you need to buy before they are gone forever
- How to Run Plex on a Mac
- Paramount Plus: March Madness and everything else to know
- Paramount Plus: Everything to know about the app that replaced CBS All Access
- Today's Best Deals: Super Mario 3D All-Stars, PS4 Sale, External Hard Drives, And More
Steam Deck Verified will show you how "the entire Steam catalog" plays on the handheld have 676 words, post on www.gamesradar.com at October 18, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.