The forthcoming Skyrim Anniversary Edition could have a big impact on mod users.
Some of the best Skyrim mods available use the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) plug-in, but each time the Bethesda Creation Club receives a new update of content the SKSE can break.
That’s why many players will load the game using a separate mod manager.
The Anniversary Edition release includes the Special Edition version of the game along with all mods available in the Creation Club and more yet to be announced.
However, as reported by PC Gamer , rather than releasing the game as its own version on Steam, the Anniversary Edition will be available as an update to the existing entry. This will have a major impact on mods using the SKSE.
“Bethesda has decided to update the compiler used to build the 64-bit version of Skyrim from Visual Studio 2015 to Visual Studio 2019,” explains one of the SKSE developers on Reddit . “This changes the way that the code is generated in a way that forces mod developers to start from scratch finding functions and writing hooks.
“Plugins using the Address Library will need to be divided in to ‘pre-AE’ and ‘post-AE’ eras. Code signatures and hooks will need to be rewritten. We will all need to find functions again. The compiler’s inlining behavior has changed enough that literally a hundred thousand functions have disappeared and been either inlined or deadstripped, to put it in perspective,” explains the developer.
This is a considerable amount of work and while SKSE will be updated in due course, many mods are now outdated and likely won’t be amended for the new edition. Says the SKSE developer: “This realistically means that the native code mod scene is going to be broken for an unknown length of time after AE’s release.”
The developer recommends mod users backup their executable and disable updates in Steam in advance of the Anniversary Edition release, due on 11th November.
- "A better Skyrim than Skyrim. For free": Steam reviews are going nuts over this free mod for Skyrim that turns it into a completely new open world RPG
- IFA forced to take 'innovative' new shape - which other tech shows have been disrupted?
- Jaipur Watch Company’s limited-edition Jump Hour Watch pays homage to Swiss designer Gerald Genta
- Extinction Rebellion blockades printing presses of major UK newspapers
- Anti-lockdown protesters plotting to shut down M6 and spark major traffic jams with blockades
- What a difference a week makes: Heavy rain causes floods and keeps Britons indoors on second weekend of winter lockdown - after thousands flouted rules to head to markets and drink beer seven days ago
- RAF scrambles Typhoon jets to intercept two Russian Bear aircraft spotted near UK airspace in the North Sea
- More snow chaos across Britain as forecasters expect it to be the coldest night of the winter forcing London City Airport to close and leaving travellers no choice but to abandon their stranded vehicles on the M3
- JeM terrorists walked from Shakargah camp to Samba border before infiltrating into Kashmir
- 'This is about saving lives': PM lashes out at Andy Burnham's lack of 'leadership' as Greater Manchester Mayor refuses to accept Tier Three lockdown rules and haggles for more money - but Lancashire AGREES to the curbs from TOMORROW with '£30m bailout'
- Leila Hassan Howe: ‘My life was made hell. You’d just hear a tirade against immigrants’
- Bajaj Chetak Electric Scooter Sales Crosses 1000 Units: Here Are All The Details!
- The inside story of how NASCAR navigated a 2020 scheduling nightmare and its future
- Everything we know about The Elder Scrolls 6, from Microsoft exclusivity, game engine, and more
- Gunfire in Lagos as thugs attack #EndSARS protesters
- Over 4,700 PC Games On Sale For Black Friday At Fanatical
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 27 (updated hourly)
- Full text of BRICS Summit Moscow Declaration
- People's Choice Awards: Jennifer Lopez takes it back to the 80s in red puffball dress alongside Demi Lovato on the socially distant red carpet.. as Mandy Moore unveils her baby bump in her first public appearance since announcing her pregnancy news
- A Dark Souls II starter guide — trust us, you’ll need the help
Skyrim Anniversary Edition could cause major disruption to the mod scene have 678 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.