If people ever ask what I do for a living – and after I’ve navigated the follow-up issue of whether I play games all day; I was once asked that while having a lumbar puncture – I generally say that I spend a lot of time thinking about how to describe things. Games are complicated pieces of technology and thought, and, in truth, anyone can have an opinion about something. So description seems to be the bit of the job that I find the most challenging and rewarding: what is something trying to do and how does it feel? What is it?
I’m not brilliant at this – which is why it’s both challenging and rewarding. But I am always on the look out for people who do this description business well. And sooner or later, I always turn to Counter Intelligence, the only book from Jonathan Gold, the late, great restaurant critic from Los Angeles and the only person to ever win a Pulitzer from writing about food.
- Trapped for 2 weeks, 11 workers rescued from China gold mine
- All eyes on Dominique Strauss-Kahn for his turn in the dock
- Covid vaccine supply issues could see Dutch violence repeated in rest of EU
- About 4,000 Covid variants across world, says UK minister
- Hopeful at Last, a Soviet ‘Closed City’ Is Now Wide Open For Putin’s World Cup
- Indian Government Eyes Public's Gold Obsession to Raise Funds for Agriculture
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers is pictured for the first time since 'arriving in St. Kitts on a private jet containing '$1.3 million worth of cannabis' as he flies out of LA
- Troubled actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers is ARRESTED for DUI and charged after crashing his car in Malibu and failing a sobriety test
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers 'formally charged with DUI' after he was arrested for crashing his car in Malibu and failing a sobriety test in November
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers enjoys friendly chat with Mel Gibson as he's seen for the FIRST time since being 'formally charged with DUI' stemming from Malibu car crash in November
- Kaillie Humphries, Lolo Jones win historic bobsled world championship
- Jesse Owens' gold medal auctioned for nearly $1.5 million, sets record
- Fox News White House reporter John Roberts slams 'petty' ABC News colleague Jonathan Karl for trying to 'shame' him for not wearing a mask in the Rose Garden before Trump's press conference
- India’s gold demand to rebound in 2021 as economy expands
- No10 launches world's first trial into whether mixing and matching coronavirus vaccines can enhance protection
- Kelly Brook catches the eye in a cream jumper and a baker boy cap as she arrives for work at Heart Radio
- Gold-tongued mummy found at 2,000-year-old burial site in Egypt
- World’s top badminton players to gather in Vietnam for Asian championship
- Al-Jazeera, insurgent TV station that divides the Arab world, faces closure
- 'The most special thing I've done': Two world-class climbers scale the tallest chimney in Europe
Off Topic: Seeing the world through the eyes of Jonathan Gold have 468 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at October 19, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.