New details have emerged on Microsoft exclusive RPG Avowed from Obsidian.
The game was first announced at the Xbox Game Showcase in July 2020 and is from the studio behind The Outer Worlds and Pillars of Eternity.
In fact, Avowed mixes in elements from both of those games according to a new report from Windows Central . It’s set in the same universe as Pillars of Eternity, but with a first-person perspective similar to The Outer Worlds.
The report suggests that, if The Outer Worlds was the studio’s take on Fallout, then Avowed is their take on The Elder Scrolls in both its fantasy setting and combat.
Avowed will feature two handed combat and multiple classes, seemingly borrowed from Skyrim. That means dual-wielding weapons and spells for potent attacks, or equipping a mixture of the two. The report states that combat seems “more loadout-based” than Skyrim. Warriors will have access to physical attacks, while casters can customise their combat style using spellbook options and magic bound to specific buttons.
Those magic attacks take a leaf out of Pillars of Eternity’s book. Spells like the lightning based Jolting Touch and two-handed Fireball are present, conjured using complex hand gestures, and status effects like Fetid Caress also feature. Weapon enchantments are a major facet of combat, such as enchanted swords. Fans may even recognise enemies, from the lizard-like Xaurips to deadly drakes.
Unlike Skyrim, Avowed will reportedly have a more colourful visual palette, with luminescent caves, verdant forests and neon effects. The environments will also be destructible, using fire to burn down blocked entryways, for instance.
The footage seen by Windows Central was from a pre-alpha build of the game, so there is plenty of room for change. However, the report speculates we may see an update for the game as early as The Game Awards this year, if not next year’s E3 event.
Obsidian is also working on The Outer Worlds 2 , as announced at this year’s E3. Together, the two games are shaping up to be quite the pairing in Microsoft’s exclusive arsenal.
- Avowed on Xbox Series X trailer, release date, Game Pass and what we know
- A day in the life of Grounded's ants: Obsidian talk eggs, pheromones and their incoming queen
- Do you ever play games with the sound or music off?
- 'I've got to know Diana like you would a friend': Emma Corrin who plays Princess in new series of The Crown graces cover of Vogue and reveals original Royal wedding dress designers were drafted in for show
- Yakuza: Like A Dragon Job Guide - Every Unlockable Job And Which Ones Are Worth Your Time
- Microsoft to buy ZeniMax for $7.5 billion, will gain control of The Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, and more
- PS5 vs Xbox Series X: which next-gen console should you buy?
- Grounded's underwater-themed koi pond update is now live for everyone
- Grounded added a koi pond with swimming spiders
- Bethesda promises larger maps, better AI, and livelier cities for Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6
- Drill, hardcore punk and pop about snails: new artists for autumn
- Activision says Prestige is coming to Call of Duty: Warzone, Modern Warfare and Black Ops Cold War
- Judge says Epic was 'not honest' when it bypassed Apple's payment system in Fortnite
- An Unwanted Porn-Inspired Fantasy
- 5 things the PS5 must improve over the PS4
- Kaley Cuoco gets matching tattoos with The Flight Attendant co-star Zosia Mamet to celebrate filming finally wrapping
- Vermintide 2 devs reveal Bardin's getting a new career, Victor a new gun
- The greatest gift Alex Trebek left us
- FA need boss who doesn’t stumble into racism if Black Lives truly matter to them
- Can This Time at Home Help Your Marriage?
Obsidian's forthcoming Avowed sounds like its own take on Skyrim have 602 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.