Final Fantasy 14 is now the most profitable game in Square Enix’s RPG series.
Naoki Yoshida, Final Fantasy 14 director, revealed at a recent Endwalker expansion preview event that the MMO has now surpassed 24 million players, as reported by IGN .
This comes 11 years after the game was originally released and critically panned in its initial state. In a chart shared with the press, the game had 4 million registered users in 2015, then hit 10 million at the release of third expansion Stormblood in 2017. Since then, the numbers have doubled.
“You all know just how hard things were for us with the original Final Fantasy 14,” Yoshida said in reference to the game’s launch. “Since then, we were able to transform the title into one that provides a major contribution to our company’s profits.”
He continued: “It’s perhaps unbecoming of me to say but in terms of our business, we’ve been able to achieve great success. Moving forward, we’re going to spare no expense with our investments to ensure that this game continues to be one which our players can enjoy.”
Yoshida also reflected on his relationship with the community in a new PlayStation Blog . “From our perspective in the [FF14] team, we don’t think of the players as just players,” he said, “we really look to them as our friends and part of our family, we’re in this game together.
“I think if there’s one thing that really sets Final Fantasy 14 apart from other titles in the genre, it’s that we really aim for FF14 to be a gold-standard, story-driven MMO,” said Yoshida. “I think that’s an important point of differentiation compared to other MMO titles.”
Final Fantasy 14 has certainly gone from strength to strength and, as its well known free trial meme shows, it has certainly hit the mainstream this past year. That’s only been aided by recent fan disappointment in key rival World of Warcraft.
Now, with the release of Endwalker on 23rd November, the game is hitting new heights for the series.
Endwalker will bring a wealth of new content, including the Sage and Reaper jobs, an increased level cap, new areas and dungeons, and the conclusion of a major storyline. Yet the game is far from over, with Yoshida mentioning during the preview presentation the development team is already considering the next ten years of content.
- Final Fantasy 14's big 5.3 patch opens up the path to new players
- Final Fantasy 14 Patch 5.3 Summary: End Of Shadowbringers, Next Nier Automata Raid, Free Trial, And More
- Final Fantasy 14's free trial is now ridiculously generous, includes up to the end of its first expansion
- Final Fantasy 14 Patch 5.3: End Of Shadowbringers, Next Nier Automata Raid Shown, Free Trial, And More
- New Nintendo Switch Eshop Sale Has Deals On Final Fantasy And Other Great Series
- Final Fantasy 14 Extends Free Trial To Entire Base Game And First Expansion
- Final Fantasy 14 free trial will soon include over 100 hours of content up to level 60
- Final Fantasy 14 director says he doesn't anticipate further delays due to the coronavirus
- Final Fantasy XIV's free trial will soon include the Heavensward expansion
- Square Enix says be patient, it will get Final Fantasy VII part 2 out ASAP
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 2 Has Entered Full Development
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Has Final Fantasy Games For Cheap And Many More Great Deals
- Nintendo Switch Eshop Has Final Fantasy Games On Sale And Tons Of Great Deals
- Huge Square Enix Summer Sale Discounts Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, And More Games
- Loads of classic Final Fantasy games are currently on sale on the Switch eShop
- Big Square Enix Summer Sale Discounts Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, And More Games
- Big Square Enix Summer Sale Lets You Save On Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, And More
- Square Enix Summer Sale Lets You Save On Merch For Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, And More
- Square Enix Summer Sale Lets You Save On Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Merch
- New Nintendo Switch Eshop Sales Discount Final Fantasy And Other Great Games
Final Fantasy 14 now most profitable game in the series have 655 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.