The Fallout games are a wonder to play on PC, but Fallout 3 has always come with a big old asterisk next to its name. Anyone who wanted to play the classic 2008 title would also have to install one of the worst gaming services out there: Games For Windows Live . Thankfully, a patch released for the game, put out over a decade after it initially launched, has removed the nightmarish service from Fallout 3 entirely.
Games For Windows Live initially launched in 2007, meant as a way to connect the people playing their games on the Xbox 360 and those playing on PC. The entire thing backfired. Instead of improving the PC gaming experience whatsoever, Games For Windows Live made playing games a headache whenever it was involved. Players had to deal with an unoptimized, unintuitive UI that generally slowed down getting to actually playing.
Thankfully, players won’t have to deal with the service when they try to play Fallout 3 on PC anymore. An extremely brief patch for Fallout 3 released just yesterday removed the service. The patch notes further clarify that Fallout 3 “no longer installs Games for Windows Live dependencies. If Fallout 3 was previously installed on Steam, we suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the title.”
While Games For Windows Live can now claim one less victim, the service has still caused issues as recently as last year. In January of 2020, Rockstar lost the ability to sell any more copies of Grand Theft Auto IV on Steam because the company couldn’t generate more keys to sell, which could only be done through Games For Windows Live. The service is largely gone for good, having been discontinued in 2014.
- A 10-year-old boy who was shot at a high school football game in New Jersey has died
- Valve's Steam Box game system to begin testing in 3-4 months
- Woman, 35, found out a PARASITE had been living in her stomach for 10 years after a decade of getting the medical runaround - and reveals how the cure led her to launch a successful business
- Philadelphia Eagles set to host interrupted New Jersey high school football game after shooting that left 10-year-old boy in critical condition
- I Just Watched Harry Potter For The First Time, 10 Years Late
- The best PSN games for under $10
- After 10 years, Kingdom Under Fire 2's action-RTS combat was almost worth the wait
- Google Stadia owners will be able to play 10 more games on the day of launch
- Let the cloud games begin: Amazon plans to roll out its own gaming service by next year to rival Google's Stadia, reports says
- Amazon Reportedly Planning To Announce A Stadia-Like Game Streaming Platform Next Year
- Expressions Challenge Celebrates 10 Years of Youth Empowerment
- 10-Year-Old Boy Shot During Pleasantville High School Football Game Dies From Injuries
- Living Wage campaign marks 10 years of fighting for the poorest
- A 10-Year-Old Boy Who Was Shot In The Neck At A High School Football Game Has Died
- Tyler Perry & Nickelodeon Team On Live-Action Series Starring 10-Year-Old Rapper Young Dylan
- Fastest-growing jobs from the last 10 years
- After a 10-year makeover, King Tut's tomb is back, in living color and ready for its close-up
- Microsoft's Early Black Friday Xbox One Game Deals Live Now
- Microsoft Black Friday Xbox One Game Deals Live Now For Members
- Granddad who dropped toddler from cruise ship window faces three years in prison after negligent homicide charges
Fallout 3 On Steam Ditches Games For Windows Live Over 10 Years After Launch have 538 words, post on www.gamespot.com at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.