PlayStation 2 classic Ico has turned 20 years old.
In the 2001 adventure game, developed by Japan Studio and Team Ico and directed by Fumito Ueda, you play a young boy born with horns who encounters a princess called Yorda. The pair work to escape a castle, while Ico helps Yorda evade shadowy creatures.
The hook – apart from Ico’s gorgeous, minimalist visuals and design – is the player controls Ico while assisting Yorda. Digital Foundry revisited Ico in the video, below:
Eurogamer has published some wonderful writing about Ico over the years. In a piece about save points , Christian Donlan wrote of the way Ico handles it: “Beautifully, you save using the same device you’re probably sitting on while you play. You save on a sofa, albeit a ghostly sofa that only you can see. Still, a soft, familiar, domestic item dropped into this strange, distant game. A lovely touch. And a warm one.”
Occasional Eurogamer freelance wordsmith Ewan Wilson discussed Ico when writing about the impossible architecture of video games .
Edwin also mentioned Ico in his piece, In praise of bad game design .
Eurogamer’s Ian Higton and Aofie Wilson played Ico in 2018 as part of our Late to the Party series. Video below:
Ico was met with critical acclaim, and its development team went on to make 2005 masterpiece Shadow of the Colossus, and, eventually, 2016’s The Last Guardian. Ueda left Sony in 2011, five years before The Last Guardian came out, although he stuck around to help as a contractor. Bluepoint’s brilliant Shadow of the Colossus remake came out on PlayStation 4 in 2018. Meanwhile, The Last Guardian at 60fps is a joy on PlayStation 5 .
Perhaps Ico will get a PS5 remake one day. Until then, you can play Ico in original form on PS2 and via Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection HD for PlayStation 3.
- Famous Nokia ringtone turns 20 years old
- Comments for : Famous Nokia ringtone turns 20 years old
- Deputy who monitored Jeffrey Epstein on work release reveals he office staff was all 20-year-old blonds and said he sat in the driveway while pedophile was locked inside his home every day
- Happy birthday! Commodore 64 turns 30 years old
- Finland’s Supreme Court Rules 20-year-old Migrant Having Sex with 10-year-old ‘Not Rape’
- A 20-year-old printer vulnerability left Windows exposed to malware
- 20-year-old man dies after marathon gaming sessions
- Another hint of Europa’s watery plumes found in 20-year-old Galileo data
- The International Space Station just turned 15 years old
- ¡Felicidades! Glückwünsche! Congrats! Google Translate turns 10 years old
- Jupiter's Moon Ganymede is Pounded by Plasma Rain, Scientists Discover From 20-Year-Old Data
- ESL: 20 Years Old, 10 To Go
- Comments for : Windows Mobile/Pocket PC turns 10 years old
- The World Wide Web turns 29 years old
- Comments for : Did you know: Nokia turns 150 years old today
- ‘Elephants have really long trunks’ — YouTube’s first ever video upload turns seven years old today
- Did you know: Nokia turns 150 years old today
- Windows Mobile/Pocket PC turns 10 years old
- Comments for : Google Calendar turns ten years old today with new "Goals" feature
- Google Calendar turns ten years old today with new "Goals" feature
PS2 classic Ico turns 20 years old have 500 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at September 25, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.