BOSTON (CBS) — On the eve of the 20th anniversary of the September 11th terror attacks, American flags honoring fallen heroes were placed in the Seaport.
Volunteers from the Mass Fallen Heroes organization started planting hundreds of flags Friday morning at the memorial site there.
And it wasn't just for those who perished on 9/11, but also the 300 people from Massachusetts who died fighting in two wars after 9/11.
"Us actually closing out what we've seen in Afghanistan the last 20 years means a lot because we know moving forward we can't ever forget. Not only the ones we've lost on the day, 20 years ago, but also since then," said Dan Magoon of Massachusetts Fallen Heroes.
For hours, they planted hundreds of flags. Among the volunteers were Noreen Kelly and her grandson Drew, who was born on September 11, 2000. He has since learned what sacrifice means.
"Really tragic day for everyone, and I feel like this is the best way that we can do to honor those people that served and really fought," said Drew.
And for these volunteers, the memorial honoring our fallen heroes is full of heartfelt symbolism.
"This represents all of our men and women who are serving still. We honor and we support them," said Stacey Larkin of Massachusetts Fallen Heroes.
The Fallen Heroes organization will have a candlelight vigil Friday night.
- A Fallen Hero
- New England Patriots Honor Jewish Victim of Muslim Terror in Israel. That’s More Than The Obama Administration Has Done.
- Family of American tourist killed in Westminster Bridge terror attack join victims and hundreds of well-wishers for London vigil
- Echoes of 9/11, as New Yorkers 'try to keep calm but we can't quite carry on'
- French terror attacks: Victim obituaries
- Disney+ is out TODAY – every movie and TV show from Star Wars, Marvel and more
- A gunman slaughtered 11 Jewish worshippers. Then people hunted for hate online
- Disney+ launches TOMORROW – every movie and TV show from Star Wars, Marvel and more
- Disney Plus UK's launch line-up in full, from Star Wars to The Simpsons
- Jeffrey Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre slams 'sadistic' Ghislaine Maxwell for 'playing the victim card' as the pedophile's 'madam' stakes a legal claim to his $636 million estate
- Coronavirus: Australian death toll rises as virus victims surge in Italy
- Coronavirus patients line the corridors in footage from inside Italian hospital, as military trucks transport scores of victims' coffins to be cremated
- 'It’s Dreadful. Very Wicked': Queen Elizabeth Comforts 14-Year-Old Manchester Attack Victim in Hospital
- Papua unrest turns violent, leaving two civilians, one soldier dead
- Where to Start Reading About Every Superhero in 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- "Sickening" Manchester attack targeted "innocent children"
- America honors merchant mariners, without whom we could not win wars
- Brothers stopped attack on boys because their 'arms were aching'
- These are the faces of some of the US coronavirus victims
- Morning digest: Spain's coronavirus death toll overtakes China's; aim is to win the war against COVID-19 in 21 days, says PM Modi; and more
Massachusetts Fallen Heroes Honor 9/11 Victims & Local Soldiers Who Died In Wars After Attacks have 489 words, post on boston.cbslocal.com at September 10, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.