Sony has once again renewed the trademark for its PS3-era social space, PlayStation Home.
The filing – which was reportedly submitted on 21st July 2021, according to a Redditor who’s keeping a close eye on the situation – has secured the European trademark up until 1st October 2028. Though little else is available on the trademark application’s webpage, it’s still logged as “goods and services”, and categorised as “computer game software”.
Though there’s presently no official confirmation either way that Sony might be looking to relaunch Home – or at least some kind of version of it – it’s the third such rumour to have surfaced in as many months, leading some to think it may have something to do with “a return to PSVR 2” (thanks, Comic Book ) that would dovetail nicely into large-scale social events, such as those we’ve seen in Fortnite. Add in VR compatibility, and it could be a very exciting development indeed.
If you missed out on it the first time around, PlayStation Home was a virtual social hub where players could chat and hang out together and decorate their individual apartments – kind of like Second Life and the Sims, but fully Sony-centric.
When PlayStation Home closed for good on 31st March 2015 , Sony – like many other companies – kept renewing its trademarks in order to protect the brand, but a flurry of recent behind-the-scenes action hints that this may more than just a bureaucratic paperwork exercise. Watch this (virtual) space, eh?
- PS5: Next-generation PlayStation release date at least 12 months away says Sony
- Watchdog probes XBOX, Nintendo Switch and PlayStation amid fears their fees are ripping off gamers
- Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox face UK competition investigation
- iPhones can now play ANY PS4 game thanks to Sony update
- iPhones can now play ANY PlayStation game thanks to latest PS4 update
- Homes evacuated as suspect objects found
- The 7 things Google needs to do to create the 'Netflix of gaming'
- GDC 2019: The 7 things Google Yeti needs to do to create the 'Netflix of gaming'
- 16 Best gadgets for men, starting from just £6
- Nintendo planning to release two new Nintendo Switch consoles this year
- Virtual reality has never been more convenient, says Oculus chief
- Competition watchdog to probe console video gaming practices
- Bafta Games Awards 2019 winners and nominees: God of War wins Best Game in five-star night
- Gaming headset lets soldiers see through walls, shoot around corners – and get instant replay for kills
- Grenfell family put on housing waiting list
- Google reveals Stadia, that will let you play console-quality games on ANY device with a browser
- Decision on crush hotel's licence deferred
- Northern Ireland power workers warn of industrial action in row over pay
- Liverpool wins ePremier League title with 6-2 thrashing of Manchester United
- Move over Sharon! Kelly Osbourne to host 2019 British LGBT Awards
Sony renews PlayStation Home trademark again have 446 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at July 25, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.