Welcome! There are plenty of new challenges here, but I suggest you start with the Free Skate. Load up Skate City, unlock Tokyo on the city finder, and then Free Skate your worries away.
It’s a dazzling thing. Tokyo emerges from the early evening mists, gold light glimmering on concrete and wood. Gaps in the road for little rivers to flow through, bendy rails in a children’s playground.
Further, through subways with stairs picked out in neon, through skyscrapers bent at strange angles. Finally night falls and the park is little pools of light from streetlamps. The river, the underpass, and the riot of signage as you approach a centre of some kind.
Skate City has always picked its cities so beautifully. Los Angeles, Barcelona and Oslo. Miami was a surprising treat, and now Tokyo. Sure, it’s the Olympics and skateboarding is featured for the first time, but also Tokyo just fits – it is the perfect city to get the dreamy Skate City treatment, pedestrians slow-padding home or lost in thought, friends perched on benches, inviting concrete everywhere, warmth and the haze of a well-loved place.
This feels like the game’s most colourful addition yet, although the colours are as carefully chosen as you might expect – bolts of sudden brightness, but a background that tends towards mellow beauty. Skate City is a place as much as a game, and all its cities become aspects of that place.
What stops it from being empty beauty, of course, is the trick system, that grows more ingenious the more I play it – swipes and taps on a screen that’s divided into two halves offering a surprising amount of expression, and requiring dexterity and skill if you want to clear the hardest challenges.
I think I do want to clear those challenges, even if some of them, like knocking over cans on the subway, feel like a quiet kind of sacrilege. But more than anything I want to stay in Free Skate a bit longer, watching the light change and the city drift from one zone to another. People walking home. Lights in high windows.
- PICTURED: Inside the $5 BILLION American Dream megamall as it opens its doors in New Jersey - and it comes stocked with an indoor ski slope, roller coaster, water park along with its 450 stores
- Jakeem Grant exclusive: The Miami Dolphins' speed-skating gamer out to prove himself as the NFL's fastest player
- Leeds on the brink of lockdown: Nearly half a million people in city face restrictions as rising infections see it added to PHE's 'watchlist' – but measures are eased in swathes of Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Leicester
- Saturday night fever! Leeds revellers party into the small hours – leaving some VERY worse for wear - as city teeters on the brink of local lockdown amid surge in Covid cases
- Classroom of broken dreams
- Oxford study finds Tokyo Olympics to be costliest Summer Games
- Honda showcases EV concepts at Tokyo Motor Show
- Why California’s city councils should be bigger
- Prima ballerina Misty Copeland shows off her $3.125 million New York City apartment - revealing unique artwork, a custom bar, and a huge walk-in closet that was inspired by Mariah Carey
- MLK’s Dream Is Far from Reality 57 Years On – US Is Still Deeply Racist
- Is Emily in Paris the new Sex and the City? First look at new Netflix show from the team behind the noughties hit features Lilly Collins in an array of stunning outfits and locking lips with various beaus in the French capital
- Greenwood: Playing against Messi would be a dream come true
- Phil Foden says Pep Guardiola's faith in him has been 'massive' for his Man City development
- Black Panther’s Wakanda comes to life: Akon to construct $6billion city in Senegal
- Behind-the-wheel protests in Atlantic City on racism, virus
- From just a remote, serene suburb to a bustling city space
- Man Utd transfer blow as Man City and PSG lead race for £63m-rated Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli
- Man Utd & City stars Mason Greenwood & Phil Foden axed by England after ‘inviting girls to hotel’ breaking Covid rules
- Housing.com's new ad campaign focuses on the importance of verified information
- Coronavirus in sports: 2020 Tokyo Olympics postponed to 2021; NFL draft, season updates
Skate City has added Tokyo and it's a dream have 688 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at July 27, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.