2016's Suicide Squad theatrical release was, according to director David Ayer, a departure from the original vision for the DC movie – and was “ripped to pieces” by Warner Bros . Now, one of the editors who worked on the project has spelled out exactly how different the so-called 'Ayer Cut' was from what we ended up seeing in cinemas.
In an interview with CinemaBlend , David Hickman outlined how Warner Bros. “wanted to take things in a different direction” with Suicide Squad.
First and foremost, that involved making the movie a lot lighter. “[Ayer's] was a much darker film,” Hickman said. “It was almost like a Black Hawk Down type thing. It was just very militarized, very serious. I mean, of course there were supposed to be comedic moments with Will Smith, but it was a darker film.”
It was structure, as well as style, that was affected. Hickman revealed Warner Bros. wanted the “origin of the characters to happen much closer to the beginning,” instead of being scattered throughout the first 45 minutes of the movie. “We kind of shoved everything into the viewer’s face right up front so that we could get the story going,” he explained.
Hickman even echoed Ayer's previous remarks that more footage from Jared Leto's Joker – who made a belated return in Zack Snyder's Justice League in the new Knightmare sequence – was left on the cutting room floor.
In 2020, Ayer said Leto's scenes involved “incredible acting” as a “terrifying” Joker . Hickman said that while he thought Leto “did a really good job” as the Clown Prince of Crime, “we just couldn’t find a purpose for it because sometimes he would just go off on such crazy, insane tangents and it would be really hard to weave it into the film.”
However, it doesn't look like David Ayer's director's cut will ever see the light of day. Warner Bros. CEO Ann Sarnoff said in an interview with Variety that the studio “won't be developing David Ayer's cut” – and the director responded on Twitter with a sad face emoji and one word: “Why?”
It's a question that might echo for some time to come – but is unlikely to ever get a Snyder Cut-style answer. A new Suicide Squad movie, directed by James Gunn, is due out in August.
For more from the world of DC, check out all the new superhero movies on the way.
- Suicide Squad Ayer Cut Is Not Coming to HBO Max Yet Says Director
- The Suicide Squad Main Mission and DC Comics Location Revealed
- Suicide Squad Holds Off Sausage Party at the Box Office
- David Ayer says his original Suicide Squad cut was "ripped to pieces" by the studio
- Can Suicide Squad Hold Off Pete's Dragon at the Box Office?
- The Suicide Squad sounds a lot better than the first movie
- John Cena's Peacemaker Will Get an HBO Max Series After The Suicide Squad
- More Suicide Squad Members Will Show Up in PeaceMaker Teases James Gunn
- Suicide Squad Spin-Off Show Adds Terminator 2 Star To Cast
- Jared Leto’s Joker is joining Zack Snyder’s Justice League director’s cut
- Diwali 2020: 5 Diwali Releases With Biggest Box Office Collection In Last Decade
- Thalapathy 65: Vijay Chooses Kolamavu Kokila Director Nelson Dilipkumar Over AR Murugadoss?
- James Gunn Invites All DC Directors to Visit Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Set
- Martian Manhunter First Look Revealed in Zack Snyder's Justice League
- Christopher Nolan reveals he's 'thrilled' about Tenet's box office results: 'Everyone has to adapt to a new reality'
- How Amazon’s ‘Borat 2’ reveals the new playbook for the streaming movie blockbuster
- Christopher Nolan breaks silence on Tenet’s disappointing box office haul, ahead of film’s home video release
- How the Legend of Harley Quinn Was Born Revealed by Batman Favorite Mark Hamill
- Keeping Up With The Kardashians producer Ryan Seacrest reveals the show started with a camera from Best Buy: 'They changed entertainment forever'
- IPL 2021: Royal Challengers Bangalore director Mike Hesson indicates tweaks in the team
Suicide Squad editor reveals the biggest differences between the director’s cut and the theatrical release have 667 words, post on www.gamesradar.com at June 10, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.