Wow! Just… wow! What a week for video game news it’s been. The Epic versus Apple trial kicked off this week and it turned out to be the headline generator we’d hoped for. In this week’s show, which you can check out in the video below, Eurogamer news editor Tom Phillips, reporter Emma Kent and me deliver an Epic vs Apple emails special, digging into the detail behind this unprecedented peek behind the video game industry curtain.
The trial got off to a chaotic start as Fortnite fans flooded the public call-in number – which the authorities inexplicably failed to mute. The news flooded in soon after, with revelations around Sony’s cross-play policy , Epic’s Fortnite development and Microsoft’s financials all emerging over the coming days. We even know how much Epic paid to secure Gearbox’s Borderlands 3 as a six-month PC exlcusive to the Epic Games Store. Spoilers: it was a lot .
Amid all that we have frankly hilarious emails between Epic boss Tim Sweeney and various video game executives, including Ubisoft chief Yves Guillemot and Xbox boss Phil Spencer . Best of all is an email Sweeney sent to Apple boss Tim Cook asking for some App Store change. Cook forwarded the email on to some colleagues, effectively asking: “who’s this?” Sick burn!
The biggest news, I think you’ll all agree, was the moment Apple’s lawyer asked Sweeney if he’d heard about a website called Eurogamer. Yes, that actually happened. Sweeney had, of course – I’m sure he’s a big fan. “What is Eurogamer?” Apple’s lawyer asked. It’s a question for the ages.
No, Sweeney did not respond with a Birdo reference. He responded properly, as he should. Eurogamer is a serious business, after all. Why drag the world’s greatest video game website into the biggest video game trial of the century? Apple was trying to use an interview we conducted with Sweeney back in 2019 against him. Those crafty lawyers!
If you’d like to check out previous episodes of the Eurogamer News Cast, you’ll find them handily rounded up here .
- Mark Wright will return to celebrate Towie’s tenth anniversary in spin-off special with original cast
- 'It's happening!' Friends cast officially confirm unscripted reunion show with flashback shot after signing deal to earn '$2.5million EACH' for special on HBO
- Apple’s September 12 Event: Everything Apple announced
- Epic Games CEO says devs and stores should be apolitical - as if that was possible
- Friends Cast Reunion Special Arrives with HBO Max Streaming Launch in May
- FTC demands data about small buys by Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft
- Winter Soldier Vs. Team Iron Man in New Civil War Clip
- What's Next for the Cast of
- Apple TV Plus cost, 2020 shows, channels, devices, and everything you need to know
- Watch Ellen DeGeneres Epically Surprise Viral Student Whose Perfect Attendance Pencil Was Stolen
- Phew! Niecy Nash, Wendi McLendon-Covey and More Original Cast Join
- Mahershala Ali to Star in Drama Film ‘Swan Song’ for Apple TV Plus
- Apple finally releases eye-roll Memoji with latest iOS 13 update
- Friends reunion confirmed, Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry share news. Here’s how Twitter is celebrating
- Wilder vs. Fury 2 stream: How to watch the heavyweight title fight live
- Apple is about to release the first ‘superfast’ 5G iPhone, insiders claim
- Dirty Harry vs. Clint Eastwood
- Footage of ‘Apple’s secret £399 iPhone 9’ revealed – but fans say it’s FAKE
- Wilder vs Fury 2: All hail King Tyson Fury who joins heavyweight royalty
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Digital and Blu-ray Release Dates, Special Features Unveiled
Epic vs Apple emails special - it's the Eurogamer News Cast! have 583 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at May 7, 2021. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.