Minnesota Governor Tim Walz is expected to announce Wednesday that gyms will have to close starting Friday and restaurants and bars will have to go to take-out only. He’s also expected to pause youth sports and high school sports beginning Saturday, CBS Minnesota reports.
Further details on the restrictions are expected in the governor’s announcement at 6 p.m. local time (7 p.m. ET).
How to watch Minnesota Governor Tim Walz announce new COVID-19 restrictions today
- What: Minnesota Governor Tim Walz announces new COVID-19 restrictions in response to virus surge
- Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020
- Time: 6 p.m. local time (7 p.m. Eastern)
- Location: Minnesota
- Online stream: Live on CBSN Minnesota in the player above and on your mobile or streaming device
The expected restrictions come days after other state measures went into effect, targeting social gatherings among young people. Indoor and outdoor private social gatherings are limited to no more than 10 people from a maximum of three households, and bars and restaurants are limited to 50% capacity both indoors and outdoors with a maximum of 150 people.
Walz said Tuesday that he had no choice but to impose the restrictions because the current increase in COVID-19 cases in the state is unsustainable.
Over the last few weeks, there’s been a surge of COVID-19 cases in Minnesota, with daily case records broken every few days. In just the last week, four days have seen daily new case numbers over 7,000.
The state reported on Tuesday nearly 6,000 more COVID-19 cases and 26 more deaths. Meanwhile, more than 1,600 people are hospitalized with the virus — the highest number since the pandemic began.
Health officials are urging Minnesotans to limit Thanksgiving celebrations to their own households.
Note: Streaming plans are subject to change
- Chilling ‘note from Uber driver who killed eight’ in New York truck rampage
- Sayfullo Saipov’s vile ‘hospital-bed boasts after ISIS New York terror attack killed eight’
- What's new on Netflix in December 2017 - best movies and tv shows to watch
- Who is James Patrice? Celebrity Operation Transformation leader for new RTE series and Snapchat star – here’s what we know
- North Korea missile-launch footage emerges as Kim Jong-un claims he is close to military ‘equilibrium’ with United States
- Acid listed as ‘highly dangerous weapon’ in updated sentencing guidance
- Dundee bands to unite for gig tackle homelessness
- Dropbox Tops Private Value, Shares Soar in Market Debut
- Celebrity deaths in 2017: Famous faces gone too soon including Keith Chegwin and David Cassidy
- Celebrity deaths in 2017: Famous faces gone too soon including Kim Jong-Hyun and Keith Chegwin
- Celebrity deaths in 2017: Famous faces gone too soon including David Cassidy and Rodney Bewes
- Celebrity deaths in 2017: Famous faces gone too soon from Keith Barron to Hugh Hefner
- Luke's passion for Racing comes shining through
- Remembering 102 famous faces we've said goodbye to in 2017
- A final selection of the top stories from 2017 across Gwent
- REVIEW OF THE YEAR: A final selection of the top stories from 2017 across Gwent
- Donald Trump's State of the Union address fact-checked: The reality behind the president's statements
- Ten talking-points that defined the 2018 Cheltenham Festival
- Mnuchin ‘Cautiously Hopeful’ China Trade Deal Can Be Reached
- Mnuchin ‘Hopeful’ Truce Can Be Reached With China on Trade
Watch Live: Minnesota Governor Tim Walz announces new COVID-19 restrictions in response to surge have 509 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at November 18, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.