U.S. states and localities pay huge portions of their budgets toward educating their children, and it never seems to be enough. Research consistently finds funding is neither adequate nor equitable, and that students from low-income households, Black students, students with disabilities, and students who do not come from English-speaking homes bear the brunt of those inadequacies and inequities. Funding for schools in America stretches dramatically from a low of just $7,628 per student in Utah to a high of more than $24,040 in New York. Some states use progressive taxation such as property taxes, in which taxpayers pay according to the value of their assets. Others turn to regressive levies like sales taxes that apply the same tax rate to rich and poor. This year, school funding became all the more challenging when the coronavirus pandemic hit. Businesses closed, schools shut down, and consumer spending dried up, all pointing to severe shortfalls in tax revenues that normally would help keep schools going. Newsweek subscription offers > Many school districts saw their enrollment plummet, as students opted to stay home to avoid the possibility of infection and did not participate in remote learning. Many parents kept their young children out of… Read full this story
- Two Decades of Change in Federal and State Higher Education Funding
- The man who cannot graduate and the failure of Higher Education in Italy
- How will the No Child Left Behind Act really help our students and teachers?
- University of Tartu may end free Estonian language education
- Around our 50 states
- Grateful Dead, Greta in Dakotas: News from around our 50 states
- School life: Egg-citing project for Calder High students
- 75% of US school districts report student meal debt. Here's what they're doing to combat the problem
- Could Kentucky, a deep red state, elect a Democrat as its next governor?
- Universities use lavish perks to compete for students
States Spending the Most and Least Per Student on Education have 301 words, post on www.newsweek.com at November 22, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.