THE latest Call of Duty game will take up a gargantuan amount of hard drive space when it launches on next-gen consoles next week.
The bulky Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War file is a mammoth 130GB, US publisher Activision says, making it one of the largest games ever released.
On top of that, the game’s size will almost certainly grow in the months following its November 13 release as updates and expansions are added.
Activision detailed the file sized of various versions of Black Ops Cold War in a blog post on Wednesday.
While the PlayStation 5 version comes in at 133GB, the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S one takes up 136GB of space.
That means the game takes up roughly 15 per cent of the PS5’s 825 GB of hard drive space, or 13 per cent of the Series X’s 1TB (1,000GB) of memory.
Players on the Xbox Series S, a second upcoming Microsoft console, will have to sacrifice a whopping 25 per cent of their 512GB of storage.
All three consoles launch next week, a few days before Black Ops Cold War comes out.
On PS4 and Xbox One, the game is a fair bit smaller, taking up 95GB and 93GB respectively, Activision said.
The Santa Monica company added that console gamers will have the option to uninstall certain parts of the game to free up space on their hard drives.
“Players can choose to uninstall specific game mode packs, such as for Campaign or Zombies, in order to reduce the game’s file size,” they said.
Call of Duty has become notorious for its large file sizes ever since the release of last year’s Modern Warfare.
It was made worse with the release of Activision’s standalone battle royale add-on, Warzone, which launched in March.
Gamers now regularly have to wrangle with files sizes in the hundreds of gigabytes just to get the game on their console or PC.
Until the new CoD hits shelves, all eyes are on Sony Microsoft for the release of their new consoles next week.
Microsoft’s new Xbox Series X and its smaller, cheaper sibling, the Series S, will launch on November 10.
The release date covers the UK, US, Australia and a bunch of other countries worldwide.
The disc-free Series S will cost £249/$299, while the Xbox Series X comes in at £449/$499.
Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War – what is it?
Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War is the latest game in the hugely popular war sim series.
It hits shelves in November and plays out at the height of nuclear tensions between the US and Soviet Russia.
The storyline follows the real-world events of the Cold War – such as the Vietnam War – but will dramatise some elements.
An early teaser trailer revealed has that the game will include a hunt for Perseus – a spy working against the US for Russia.
The Cold War was a period of major tension between the USA and Soviet Union, but wasn’t an outright war in the conventional sense.
Instead, both nations supported “proxy wars” – regional conflicts used to gain global influence.
And the fact that both nations controlled nuclear weaponry meant that neither side was willing to risk a war proper.
The period is generally said to have run from 1947 through to 1991 – when the Soviet Union was dissolved.
Out November 13, Black Ops Cold War starts at £59.99 for a standard copy rising all the way to £89.99 for the Ultimate Edition.
So how does that compare to the new Xbox’s biggest rival, the PlayStation 5?
Sony has revealed the PS5 release date falls on November 12, but not everywhere.
That date only stands for the US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.
In the UK, you won’t be able to get it until November 19.
The PS5 proper will cost £449.99/$499.99, while the digital edition comes in at £359/$399.
Most read in Gaming
Xbox Series X SOLD OUT – here’s where you can buy one before Christmas
BATTLE OF THE BOXES
PS5 vs Xbox Series X: The good, the bad and the very ugly
X MARKS THE SPOT
Xbox Series X and S latest – New console sells out ‘within minutes’
New Call of Duty Cold War game out THIS week – with revamped Warzone mode
GOING, GOING, GONE!
Xbox Series X SOLD OUT at Game, Argos, Currys, Smyths and Very
Horror game BANNED in Australia comes out in UK and US next month
In other news, Sony recently confirmed that more PS5 pre-orders are on the way.
The next-gen machine sold out within minutes when pre-orders launched on September 17.
And, a PlayStation fan has created an “all black” PS5 that disappointed gamers think looks much better than the real thing.
Are you excited for the new Call of Duty? Let us know in the comments!
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
- No Current Plans For PS5, Xbox Series X Versions Of Cyberpunk 2077, Says CD Projekt Red
- Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Currently Has No Plans For PS5, Xbox Series X Versions
- Call of Duty ‘bush of death’ mysteriously killing players – and gamers are baffled
- New PS5 home screen revealed in leak – with launch now ‘just days away’
- PS5 reveal just ‘weeks away’ as game maker promises February launch
- PS5 exclusive games – all the titles you could be playing on launch day
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Roadmap Released
- PS5 Game Godfall's New Footage Offers Another Look At The Next Generation [Update]
- Get Your Xbox Games With Gold For January 2020
- PS5 Game Godfall's New Footage Shows Another Look At The Next Generation
- This Week's Xbox One Deals Includes One Of The Best Games Of 2019
- This Week's Xbox One Sale Includes One Of 2019's Best Games
- The Leaked PS5 Godfall Footage Is Actually The Year-Old PC Version
- Child's Play TV Show Chucky Gets Series Order At Syfy--What Is It About?
- Games With Gold: Last Chance To Claim This Free Xbox Game
- Xbox Games With Gold: Grab Three Free Games Right Now
- Xbox Project Scarlett Might Be One Console After All, Not Two
- Xbox Games With Gold January 2020: Three Games Are Up For Grabs
- Xbox Games With Gold January 2020: Claim Three Free Games
- The Skripal files: How a Russian spy was turned
Panic as Call of Duty Cold War file size is even BIGGER on PS5 and Xbox Series X have 1061 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 5, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.