The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is gearing up for upcoming elections, has for the first time since the revocation of the semi-autonomous status of Jammu and Kashmir in 2019, condemned the ongoing killings of its workers .
On Thursday night, three BJP workers, including a local youth wing leader, were shot dead by terrorists in South Kashmir’s Kulgam area, police said. They were travelling in a car when terrorists opened fire.
TRF or The Resistance Front, a new terror group, which has become active in Kashmir since the abrogation of Article 370 in August 2019, has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The political leaders of the ruling party, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi , have condemned the killings, calling them a brutal attack.
“I condemn the killing of 3 of our young Karyakartas. They were bright youngsters doing excellent work in J&K. My thoughts are with their families in this time of grief. May their souls rest in peace”, said Modi taking note of the killing for the first time.
— Saima Nabi (@SaimaNabi96) October 30, 2020
Speaking to Sputnik, Ravinder Raina, BJP president of the state unit accused “Pakistani terrorists” of being behind the attack, saying those responsible would not be spared.
“The workers in Kulgam, Fida Hussain Yatoo, Umer Rashid Beigh, and Umer Ramzan Hajam attained martyrdom. They have been killed by coward Pakistani terrorists. The cowards will have to pay a heavy price”, said Raina who was at the funeral of the party workers.
Huge crowds gathered in Kulgam today at the slain BJP workers’ homes to participate in their final farewell. Emotional scenes were witnessed at the funeral as the families paid their last respects.
#Kashmir : Emotional scenes at the home of one of the three #BJP workers killed last night in a suspected militant attack in YK Pora area of southern Kashmir's Kulgam district. pic.twitter.com/7rxJaCwBso
— Aakash Hassan (@AakashHassan) October 30, 2020
Funeral of Fida Hussain, BJP youth General Secretary, killed in suspected militant attack along with two other party workers, at YK Pora village of south Kashmir's Kulgam district. pic.twitter.com/Dofq00UXMY
— Aakash Hassan (@AakashHassan) October 30, 2020
Senior BJP leader Sofi Yusuf from Kashmir on Friday demanded the resignation of Kulgam’s Superintendent of Police, holding the police responsible for not providing security to the workers despite demands to do so, reported Gulistan News. He stated they will lodge a protest by not participating in any political activity.
Regional political leaders Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti, who have been demanding the restoration of Kashmir’s special status , also condemned the killings.
Former chief of the union territory, Mufti stated that the people of Kashmir are giving their lives to the government of India’s “ill-thought out policies”.
Saddened to hear about the killing of three BJP workers in Kulgam. Condolences to their families. At the end of the day, its people of J&K who pay with their lives because of GOI's ill thought out policies.
— Mehbooba Mufti (@MehboobaMufti) October 29, 2020
Earlier, dozens of BJP party workers resigned following the continued killings by terrorists in August.
On 8 July, senior party leader in Bandipore, Sheikh Waseem Bari was killed along with his father and brother. On 6 and 9 August, two others were killed in Budgam and Kulgam. On 5 August, Arif Ahmad was injured in an attack.
- Joined by Juhi Chawla and Dalip Tahil, BJP protests 'Free Kashmir' poster in Dadar
- Terrorist Killed, Democrats Hardest Hit [Satire]
- Top police officer, two terrorists detained in J&K
- Protesters chant 'Trump is a terrorist' as 100-strong mob masses outside US embassy in London while global fury at Soleimani's death builds - but Pope calls for 'all sides to keep flame of dialogue alight'
- India to take foreign envoys to Kashmir to show the ground situation, first such move after August 5
- Protests Grip Indian Kashmir for Third Day
- Protests erupt across country over JNU violence, Opposition targets BJP
- Article 370: SC verdict on constitutional validity of Kashmir lockdown today
- Iran's President Rouhani issues chilling warning that the U.S made a 'grave mistake' by killing Soleimani and will face the consequences 'for years to come' after his family asks for revenge
- 16 envoys including US Ambassador reach Jammu and Kashmir, EU skips
- Terrorism an acute problem in Kashmir, say European lawmakers
- India and Pakistan ratchet up war rhetoric over Kashmir
- Stampede kills 50 mourners at funeral of Qassem Soleimani and leaves more than 200 injured after huge crowds gathered in his home town
- Surgical strike failed to demoralise Pak terrorists: Sena
- ‘BJP has given free hand to supporters to attack dissenters’
- The cost of the protests — for the BJP, and the State| Opinion
- Treated arrested DSP like any other terrorist: Jammu and Kashmir police
- Bhopal University Students Raise 'Terrorist Go Back' Slogans At Pragya Thakur; BJP MP Vows Action
- Senior J&K cop arrested while ferrying 2 terrorists in Kashmir
- Sambit Patra calls Shiv Sena leaders 'Sonia Sainiks' after Sena downplays 'Free Kashmir' poster
Protests and Mourning in Kashmir as Terrorists Kill Three BJP Workers have 847 words, post on sputniknews.com at October 30, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.