This morning’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone update adds mode-specific uninstall options on PC, and using it I was able to get the game’s install footprint down to 168GB.
After downloading the ~20GB patch, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone weighed in at a whopping 231GB on PC.
Within Battle.net is a basic mode-specific uninstall manager that lets you ditch the campaign, multiplayer and / or spec ops. Warzone, however, is required and cannot be uninstalled, which is annoying if you just want to play Modern Warfare.
Here’s how the options work out:
- Campaign: 34.53GB removed
- Multiplayer: 42.12GB removed
- Spec Ops: 37.83GB removed
As I’m done with Modern Warfare’s campaign and have no interest in Spec Ops, I ditched both of those, keeping multiplayer. That took off 72.37GB, leaving me with a new install footprint of 168GB – and room to download the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War open beta, which weighs in at 42.20GB on PC and launches tomorrow.
While I’m happy to be able to shrink the overall Modern Warfare footprint on my PC, 168GB is still a hell of a lot of space to take up for Warzone and multiplayer. Infinity Ward production director Paul Haile said Warzone cannot be uninstalled from Modern Warfare because “that’s where all the shared data is stored for weapons/operators/etc. that are needed for all modes. The only Warzone specific data that gets pulled along is the map and it’s not that much data compared to all the weapons and operators”.
“In other words: you would not save much space at all by uninstalling Warzone but still needing all the data for MP.”
In other words: you would not save much space at all by uninstalling Warzone but still needing all the data for MP.
— Paul Haile (@Tyrael) October 14, 2020
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare complete weapons list
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare PlayStation 4 Pro bundle revealed
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare complete game modes list
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare complete perks list
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare system requirements revealed
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare System Requirements Unveiled
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 breaks $1 billion in retail sales
- Modern Warfare 3 launches, ready for war with Battlefield 3
- Attention U.S. Military Personnel: Win a copy of Modern Warfare 3!
- Get Modern Warfare 2 (PC) for $31.95
- You may finally get to play 'Modern Warfare Remastered' for a reasonable price
- Here is what is coming in the first Call of Duty: WWII DLC
- Watch today’s ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’ reveal event here
- Call of Duty: Mobile marches past 35 million downloads
- Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC sports massive install size
- 10 years of Call of Duty in pictures
- Call of Duty: WWII is a sales juggernaut unlike the series has seen since Black Ops II
- Exclusive interview: Jason West, Vince Zampella talk life after Call of Duty
- SCUF Vantage 2 controller revealed for PlayStation 4 and PC
- Trump had a meeting about violence in video games and all we got was this stupid montage
I got Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on PC down from 231GB to 168GB have 521 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at October 14, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.