Immortals: Fenyx Rising is coming December 3, a very short wait for a game that was just recently reintroduced with a new visual style and a new title. It was previously called Gods & Monsters, and there’s reason to believe the name change owes itself at least partly to a trademark dispute with an energy drink company.
The Hoeg Law YouTube channel (via Eurogamer ) noted that legal documents show Ubisoft’s trademark for Gods & Monsters was contested by Monster Energy. Monster filed the opposition in April 2020, citing potential for trademark confusion due to its own brand licensing deals in video games. Ubisoft reportedly responded to the opposition in May, rebutting the claim by pointing out that the word “monster” was in use in other trademarks. But then in June, Ubisoft began publicly calling it “the game formerly known as Gods & Monsters” after a demo leaked on Stadia .
When Ubisoft reintroduced the game, complete with its new name, it had its own explanation for the title change . Game director Scott Phillips told GameSpot that it wanted to put more emphasis on the main character, Fenyx, and to put her front-and-center. He said those discussions happened near the end of 2019, which is well before Monster filed its opposition–and before Ubisoft filed a rebuttal defending the original name.
Of course, it’s also entirely possible that both explanations are correct. Ubisoft may have already been considering a new name for creative reasons when Monster made its complaint.
Immortals: Fenyx Rising is coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Google Stadia, along with PS5 and Xbox Series X /S versions with free upgrades. For more details, check out our Immortals: Fenyx Rising preorder guide .
- 7 Best Resident Evil Villain Transformations
- 25 Years Of Resident Evil
- 14 Minutes of Magic: Legends Open Beta Gameplay
- Best Fortnite Clips of the Week
- Rick and Morty: The Jerry-est Moments Ever! (Seasons 1-4)
- Magic: Legends Open Beta Launch Trailer
- Rocket League – Llama-Rama 2021 Trailer
- Killing Floor 2: Dystopian Devastation Launch Trailer
- World’s End Club – Nintendo Switch Gameplay Trailer
- Monster Hunter Rise Review In Progress
- BAFTA Games Awards 2021
- Next Mass Effect: What We Want To See
Now Playing: Immortals Fenyx Rising Reveal Trailer
- Scenario for climate change response in Vietnam Sunday Show
- US investors keen on Vietnam’s rapid rise
- Trump 'energy dominance' policy pits Washington against Moscow
- Scientists urge use of renewable energy sources
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 21/12
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 8/11
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 20/1
- Government News 15/11
- BUSINESS IN BRIEF 17/6
- As glaciers melt, 'Land of Fire and Ice' watches its history seep away
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 17/10
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 18/12
- Legal due diligence vital for business acquisitions in Vietnam
- Hegemony with Chinese characteristics - News VietNamNet
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 18/3
- Remarks by US President Obama in address to Vietnamese people
- Vietnam, Germany seek to raise trade to $20 bln
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 14/1
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 16/1
- Remarks by President Obama in Address to the People of Vietnam
Immortals: Fenyx Rising May Owe Name Change To Dispute With Monster Energy have 589 words, post on www.gamespot.com at September 15, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.