And, Emma Corrin, 24 – the actress who will play the Princess of Wales in the forthcoming season - says she got to know Princess Diana ‘like you would a friend,’ while discussing taking on the iconic role in a new interview.
The Grantchester star also revealed that she needed 10 people to help get her into the ‘massive’ replica wedding dress as she graced the cover of British Vogue in an 80s-inspired shoot.
Playing an icon: Emma Corrin, 24, says she got to know Princess Diana ‘like you would a friend’ as she spoke about her role in The Crown while gracing the cover of British Vogue
Emulate Emma in a cobalt blue gown by Oscar de la Renta
From Miu Miu at the Venice Film Festival to Oscar de la Renta on the cover of Vogue, Emma Corrin is racking up her designer dress portfolio!
Gracing the cover of Vogue’s October issue (aptly named the ‘Big Fashion Issue’), Emma stunned in this gorgeous cobalt blue gown from Oscar de la Renta’s Fall 2020 collection.
We can’t get enough of this billowing taffeta silhouette and sweetheart neckline! It’s giving us serious 80s prom vibes but made even more luxe thanks to the dramatic train.
Unfortunately us mere mortals can’t shop this frock but you can click (right) to shop Oscar de la Renta’s current collection at NET-A-PORTER now.
Alternatively, peruse our carousel below to shop similar cobalt blue styles from the likes of Zac Posen, Molly Goddard, Little Mistress and Jay Godfrey.
* PRICES MAY NOT BE AS ADVERTISED
Emma Corrin will portray Diana during the early part of her relationship with the Prince of Wales, before handing over the role to Elizabeth Debicki, for series five and six of the hit Netflix drama.
The Misbehaviour star explained how she developed a sense of ’empathy and understanding’ for the late princess.
She told the publication: ‘I feel I’ve got to know Diana like you would a friend. I know that sounds really weird, but I get a great sense of companionship from her.
‘I suppose, over time, you kind of start to patch together a sense of empathy and a sense of understanding. I love figuring people out.’
Empathetic: The Misbehaviour star explained how she developed a sense of ’empathy and understanding’ for the late princess while posing for an 80s-inspired accompanying shoot
Royal role: Emma Corrin will portray Diana during the early part of her relationship with the Prince of Wales, before handing over the role to Elizabeth Debicki (Diana pictured in 1989)
The young actress also recalled filming the first scene with Diana in her wedding dress.
The original ivory silk taffeta wedding gown designed by David and Elizabeth Emanuel was hand-embroidered with 10,000 pearls and featured a 25ft train.
Emma revealed that she had needed 10 others to help her put on the replica gown, and that the crew went silent seeing her in it for the first time.
Fame: ’I feel I’ve got to know Diana like you would a friend. I know that sounds really weird, but I get a great sense of companionship from her,’ said Emma (pictured as Princess Diana)
She told the magazine: ‘The Emanuels, who designed the original, gave us the patterns, and then it was made for me.’ David Emmanuel was a consultant on set.
‘We were filming the scene when you first see her in the wedding dress – I think it was Lancaster House in London – and I had a team of about 10 people helping me put it on, because it’s massive.
‘I walked out and everyone went completely silent. More than anything else I wear in the series, it’s so… it’s her.’
The immense train of the original dress was famously creased when Diana arrived for the wedding, prompting Elizabeth Emmanuel to whisper to David: ‘Oh it’s creased. But when she came out of that carriage it was the most wonderful vision I’d ever seen.’
Emma also admitted that she had kept the role secret, but that some friends had correctly guessed her casting.
Iconic gown: The Grantchester star also revealed that she needed 10 people to help get her into the ‘massive’ replica wedding dress (The Prince and Princess of Wales at Buckingham Palace on January 23rd 1999)
She said: ‘I didn’t tell anyone for a while. I love my mates but I think it would have got out.
‘My friends from school did this incredible thing, where they made me a scrapbook filled with all of the screenshots from our group WhatsApp, where I have said, ‘Oh my God, guys, I’ve been invited to read’.
‘Or a random conversation we’d had four years ago when I said, ‘Isn’t Diana amazing!’
The full interview with Emma Corrin is in the October issue of British Vogue, available on Friday September 11.
Emma took to Instagram on Monday to announce that she would be appearing on the cover of British Vogue.
Alongside the cover shot, she wrote: ’Honestly lost for any words! What an honour. Thank you so much @edward_enninful and @britishvogue for having me on your October cover to join the incredible people who have come before me!
‘Very overwhelmed! Going to pour a big drink,’ before adding credits for the magazine feature and accompanying shoot.
Keeping schtum: Emma also admitted that she had kept the role secret, but that some friends had correctly guessed her casting (pictured in March)
Diana married Charles in 1981, and the couple welcomed sons William in 1982 and Harry in 1984. After separating in 1991, the couple divorced in 1997.
Emma’s casting was announced in April 2019, with The Crown’s creator Peter Morgan calling her ‘a brilliant talent who immediately captivated us when she came in for the part of Diana Spencer.’
‘As well as having the innocence and beauty of a young Diana, she also has, in abundance, the range and complexity to portray an extraordinary woman who went from anonymous teenager to becoming the most iconic woman of her generation.’
Grateful! Emma took to Instagram on Monday to announce that she would be appearing on the cover of British Vogue
The next series will be released later this year, but it was recently revealed that the show will conclude after its fifth season, with Imelda Staunton taking the throne as its final Queen Elizabeth II, while Lesley Manville has been cast as Princess Margaret.
They will replace Olivia Colman and Helena Bonham Carter respectively, who will bow out after the forthcoming fourth series.
Show creator Peter Morgan confirmed the Netflix drama would not include a sixth season while revealing Imelda, 64, will take the role ‘into the 21st century’.
This means that current Royal scandals including the allegations made against Prince Andrew as well as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s ‘Megxit’ drama won’t be featured on the Netflix hit.
Read the full feature in the October issue of British Vogue available via digital download and on newsstands Friday 11th September
- Royal wedding dresses: The most iconic gowns in history from Kate Middleton, Princess Eugenie & more
- Ellie Goulding's wedding dress: Designer, style, pictures & all the details you need to know
- The hottest new series and seasons streaming in November 2019
- Inside Princess Margaret’s life as the ‘original royal wild child’
- Princess Margaret and Lord Snowden: Inside their devastating marriage
- The royals love leopard print fashion! From Kate Middleton to Meghan Markle, Princess Diana and the Queen
- The Jessica Mulroney effect! How Meghan has been influenced by her best friend and unofficial stylist’s love of blazers, sleek ponytails and stripes
- The best Netflix Original series
- Princess Margaret’s tragic marriage revealed
- Excited Princess Charlotte clutches her mother's hand as William and Kate bring her for her first day of school at £19,000-a-year Thomas's Battersea with her proud older brother George
- Royal news: 15 rare facts about Princess Diana on her death anniversary
- Ellie Goulding reveals the SPECIAL meaning behind her wedding day venue
- As a top fashion editor with a label addiction, she put style before finances. Now Jayne Pickering asks an expert...could my designer wardrobe actually be my nest egg?
- Fans gush over 'romantic' Meghan after she reveals her 'something blue' was a piece of the dress she wore on her first date with Harry that was stitched into her Givenchy gown
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: This is one Prince of Wales scandal the Palace isn't covering up...
- Podcast | Digging Deeper: The business of weddings
- Baby on board! Beaming Meghan and Harry set sail for their first official engagements in Australia including the Opera House and Sydney zoo - hours after revealing their baby joy
- Forget the It Girls, here come the It BOYS! Brooklyn Beckham, Princess Margaret's grandson and Meghan's wedding cellist are named among the world's 50 most influential young men
- As '90s boy bands Five, A1, 911 and Damage prepare for a UK reunion tour, we reveal the VERY different paths they've taken since their chart-topping heyday - from drug addiction to life on a farm
- Sorry, folks, show's over - THAT dress IS blue and black: As millions join raging debate over color of mother of the bride's outfit we track down the real thing and settle it once and for all
'I've got to know Diana like you would a friend': Emma Corrin who plays Princess in new series of The Crown graces cover of Vogue and reveals original Royal wedding dress designers were drafted in for show have 1668 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 7, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.