Four young children are without a mum and dad after the parents were killed in a horror late-night crash.
High school sweethearts Kara Te Rupe, 27, and Hamiora Te Kira, 28, were killed when the car they were in rolled down a bank just before midnight on Saturday.
They leave behind four children aged between three and nine, according to an online fundraising page set up to pay for a funeral and support the kids in the future.
The couple’s heartbroken children are “struggling” and being cared for by relatives after being told that their parents were killed in the crash near their home town of Palmerston, New Zealand, a spokesperson for the family said.
Family member Marion Te Rupe told Stuff: “They have a lot of support.”
It is the third tragedy to strike the Te Rupe family in less than a year.
In October last year, Kara’s uncle Joeroa Te Rupe, 47, was shot dead. Joeroa’s sister died two days later.
Marion said Kara, her niece, was “an absolutely devoted mother”.
She added: “Her and Tama did everything with their kids. They were high school sweethearts.”
Kara and Hamiora had been a couple for 11 years and began dating when they were in high school.
Two women, aged 18 and 19, were in the car with the couple and both survived.
Police Sergeant Tony Woodbridge told the New Zealand Herald: “They are obviously very shocked and struggling to deal with the death of two of their friends.”
A Givealittle page stated: “On the 29th of August shortly before midnight a single car crash took the lives of our dear cousins Kararaina Te Rupe & her partner Tama Te Kira who were passengers in a vehicle.
“They have left 4 young children behind liiqcraeh (boy) 9, Tzarah (girl) 7, Larayah (girl) 5, TeKaumanu (girl) 3.
“All funds raised will go towards funeral expenses/travel costs…and anything left over will go towards their children’s future.”
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
Sergeant Woodbridge said: “The car rolled over a few times and came to rest down a steep ravine. It sustained considerable damage.
“At this stage, no cause of the crash as been ascertained.”
- Heartbroken brother of dad, 37, killed in crash with son, 15, and daughter, 12, tells of family’s ‘overwhelming pain’
- Mum and three daughters killed as driver ignores reds light and ploughs into car
- Dad, son, 15, and daughter, 12, killed on Father’s Day walk in horror crash are named as ‘drink driver’ held
- Mum and daughter killed in horror crash with lorry in North Wales
- Boy driver, 14, is the only survivor of horror crash that killed his four teenage passengers after he 'drove a stolen Kia Sorrento into a traffic light after clipping a roundabout'
- Mum, 28, of one of four teenagers killed in horror crash that was survived by their mate 'who was driving' is freed from prison to arrange her 13-year-old son's funeral
- 'I remember thinking 'I might die':' downhill mountainbiker Bryn Dickerson on his horror crash
- First picture of man killed in crash which saw two women arrested for 'kidnap'
- Prince Harry's emotional video message to young Brits on mum Diana's birthday
- Harry Dunn's mother begs Boris Johnson to make justice for her son's death his 'top priority' when US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visits UK tomorrow - almost one year after he was killed in crash with diplomat's wife Anne Sacoolas
- Grief-stricken Lisa Marie Presley, 52, comforts her son Benjamin Keough's girlfriend as they walk hand-in-hand three days after the 27-year-old killed himself inside the family mansion
- Evil father who slaughtered his wife, three children and their grandmother before spending SIX DAYS with their dead bodies is jailed for life
- First picture of former Army soldier accused of killing dad and two kids in crash
- ‘My son was shaking, trying not to go online’: how the gambling industry got its claws into children
- Driver, 28, is jailed for 30 months after killing 19-year-old clubber and injuring her two friends in M1 crash when he ploughed into their car after taking cocaine to stay awake
- Renowned mime artist Marcel Marceau saved Jewish children from the Holocaust
- Two men are killed in horror smash after their car slams into Mitsubishi driven by a man in his 60s in Greater Manchester
- Fears horror COVID-19 second wave has spread to Sydney as gym is forced to shut after positive case, RAAF base is placed in lockdown and pub cluster grows - and PM drafts mystery 'plan' to prevent the virus spiralling out of control
- Mum-of-seven killed in horror train accident two days after son's fifth birthday
- Dad and two children killed in Father's Day road crash named
Four young children orphaned after mum, 27, and dad, 28, killed in horror crash have 755 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 31, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.