Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope on Sunday said the spike in COVID-19 cases in the State over the last one month was due to the government’s aggressive approach of “tracking, tracing, testing and treatment”.
Mr. Tope said the State government is focusing on preparedness and creating awareness of the disease. “We are aggressively focussing on four Ts- tracking, tracing, testing and treatment. There are 400 labs for COVID-19 testing and more than 50,000 tests are done daily in the State. The antigen test and RT-PCR tests are being done to the optimum capacity,” the Health Minister said.
He said the spread of COVID-19 has increased in the last month due to the easing of restrictions. “Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray is very conservative about the Unlock process. Even though we have begun lifting restrictions, we still haven’t opened places of worship, theatres, malls and gyms despite demands,” he said.
At present, the recovery rate is 80% and the case fatality rate is 2.4%. The number of daily recoveries is almost equal to the number of new cases. Hence, there is no problem of bed availability, Mr. Tope said.
“We are prepared in terms of jumbo COVID-19 facilities and other health infrastructure. We don’t want to reach a situation where the number of new cases outnumbers recoveries. So, we are going slow with the Unlock process,” he said.
Mr. Tope also said the frontline COVID-19 workers deserve applause as over five lakh patients have recovered and have been discharged from hospitals. “The number of critical patients is about 2%. We are still in a mission mode and will continue to remain so till our objective is achieved,” he said, adding that the administration and frontline health workers are taking up mission with a positive attitude.
Brihanmumbai Municipal Commissioner I.S. Chahal said the number of COVID-19 tests in Mumbai has gone up from 4,000 to 9,000 per day since the last one month. “The number touched 12,000 one day, while on Saturday it was 9,984. We are trying to raise the number of tests per day to 12,000 to 14,000 regularly, and then the cases may touch 1,800 to 2,000 for a few days. We have to be aggressive and on the front foot,” he said.
- KUWTK season premiere: Emotional Kim Kardashian is comforted by sister Kylie Jenner as she tests positive for lupus antibodies after suffering from joint pain
- From the cell block - to Fifth Avenue! FEMAIL tests grueling workout created in PRISON by a former drug kingpin - whose method is now so popular it has its own jail-themed studio in SAKS
- Syphilis explosion: Urgent warning as cases soar in New Zealand with Māori men and women among the most at risk
- New blood test for prostate cancer under way
- Spiders 'are getting more aggressive in response to climate change' as they are better equipped to survive the aftermath of hurricanes
- India vs Bangladesh, D/N Test: Indian pacers will get lot of advantage with pink ball: Aminul Islam
- Ben Stokes century powers England to Ashes-levelling win in third Test at Headingley
- Warning issued over mystery rise of rare polio-like illness that has left 28 people across England with 'weak and floppy limbs' as officials announce investigation
- Virgin Media announces price rises for 5million broadband, phone and TV customers
- STIs on the rise in Germany, but testing still hard to come by
- Iowa hired a cybersecurity firm to do penetration testing, then arrested its workers
- Uber Eats focuses on aggressive expansion in India
- Wolf culture, state finance and bribery: Huawei's rise to the top wasn't pretty
- Testing of 100,000 backlogged rape kits across the US leads to 1,000 arrests and HUNDREDS of convictions- and would have been more but the statute of limitations was up for some
- How much will house prices rise near you? Values are forecast to go up by £35,000 in five years in some parts of the country
- Toyota Corolla review: bold new look comes with a price rise
- Badger cull 'should be stopped for two years to test vaccinations' after 70,000 kills sees Tuberculosis cases in cattle fall only by 'modest levels', report claims
- Texas court halts execution of man convicted of killing 19-year-old lover
- Neanderthals were NOT violent brutes they were 'only' as aggressive as humans, study of skeletons finds
- James Pattinson misses first Test after obscene language outburst
‘COVID-19 cases rising due to aggressive testing’ have 693 words, post on www.thehindu.com at August 31, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.