The rupee pared its initial gains and settled on a flat note at 74.75 (provisional) against the US dollar on Wednesday amid muted domestic equities and strengthening American currency.
At the interbank forex market, the domestic unit opened on a strong note at 74.61 against US dollar, but pared the gains and settled for the day at 74.75, down 1 paise from its previous close of 74.74 against the greenback.
During the session, the domestic unit witnessed high volatility and saw an intra-day high of 74.59 and a low of 74.87 against the American currency.
Meanwhile, the dollar index, which gauges the greenback’s strength against a basket of six currencies, rose 0.27 per cent to 95.37.
On the domestic equity market front, the 30-share BSE benchmark Sensex was trading 198.68 points lower at 37,731.65 and broader NSE Nifty fell 65.20 points to 11,097.05.
“Overall the trend in USD-INR spot has been bearish, breaching the psychological level of 75 on weak dollar and risk on mood.
In the past, the USD-INR spot has not been able to break the crucial support of 74.50 on likely RBI buying, and had bounced from there,” said Rahul Gupta, Head of Research- Currency, Emkay Global Financial Services.
Gupta further said: “We expect 74.50 to continue to act as a crucial support until the US decides on the fresh stimulus program. However, consistent trading below 74.50 will open doors for 74.20/74.25 with 75 acting as the crucial resistance“.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers in the capital market as they purchased shares worth Rs 2,265.88 crore on Tuesday, according to provisional exchange data.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, slipped 1.04 per cent to USD 43.86 per barrel.
- Rupee loses 20 percent versus dollar in fiscal year 2018
- Rupee Falls Sharply Against US Dollar, Heads Towards Crucial Level: 5 Points
- Rupee slides 16 paise against dollar in early trade
- Rupee gains 24 paise against dollar in early trade
- Rupee up 11 paise against dollar ahead of RBI monetary policy announcement
- Rupee dips 5 paise against dollar in early trade
- Rupee Jumps 8 Paise Against Dollar to 67.57
- Rupee up 10 paise against dollar in early trade
- Rupee Up 11 Paise vs Dollar
- Rupee slips 13 paise on dollar demand, inflation concerns
- Rupee Up 10 Paise Against Dollar
- Ringgit opens flat against US dollar
- THE RUPEE: FY18-19 begins on firm note
- THE RUPEE: further erosion
- THE RUPEE: rising trend
- THE RUPEE: rupee ends FY18 on dismal note
- THE RUPEE: dollar in search of new destination
- Rupee crumbles below the key 68-mark
- THE RUPEE: dollar at Rs 124.50
- Rupee on back foot, slips from rate hike-inspired rally
Rupee settles flat at 74.75 against US dollar have 390 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 22, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.