Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is launching this year on current and next-gen consoles, including Xbox Series X and PS5 , as well as PC. Like previous Ubisoft games, it will be released on PC through Ubisoft’s Uplay service, but it will also be available to purchase on the Epic Games Store–instead of Steam.
Ubisoft has confirmed that Valhalla will only be sold on Uplay and the Epic Games Store as its exclusive third-party option. The franchise’s return after a year away is sure to be a big draw for Epic’s digital store, which has seen an increasing number of third-party games launch as exclusives over the last year.
Valhalla will become the first mainline new installment in Assassin’s Creed series to skip Steam. It will also be the first game in the series to launch for next-generation platforms. 2018’s Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and the rest of the earlier games are available to buy on Steam now.
The Division 2 was Ubisoft’s first big game to launch as an exclusive on the Epic Games Store. At the Game Developers Conference in 2019, Ubisoft and Epic extended their publishing deal for future titles, and now we know one of them is Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
The Division 2 was never released on Steam, but the exact terms of Ubisoft’s deal with Epic for Valhalla are unknown. Many of the other Epic exclusives, such as 2K’s Borderlands 3 , did eventually release on Steam.
Ubisoft is avoiding Steam because of its business model. Vice president Chris Early said in a New York Times interview that Steam’s business model is “unrealistic.” He added, “It doesn’t reflect where the world is today in terms of game distribution.”
Steam typically keeps 30 percent of game sales, with 70 percent going to developers/publishers. By contrast, the Epic Games Store offers much more to the people who make games; on the Epic Games Store, 88 percent of revenue goes back to developers.
For more on the game, read our in-depth interview with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla’s lead writer . We also have information on the setting and protagonist .
Assassin’s Creed News & Announcements
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Reminds Me Of Playing Black Flag
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Eivor’s Mysterious Identity, Interwoven Story, And Hidden Ones Connection
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Has Four Different Editions You Can Pre-Order Soon
- + Show More Assassin’s Creed News & Announcements Links (1)
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla Release Date Officially Revealed
- 2 Free Games Are Available At The Epic Games Store
- The Escapists Is Free At The Epic Games Store
- Grab 'Sheltered' for free this week on Epic Games
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla's Discovery Tour launches free next month
- How Epic Games Made a Dent in Apple’s App Store Domination
- Humankind release time: When does Humankind come out on Steam, Xbox Game Pass?
- Fortnite Maker Epic Games Appeals Ruling In Lawsuit Alleging Apple Monopoly
- Why are Epic Games and Apple going to court?
- Epic Games says Google paid phone and game makers to avoid $1-bln app store hit
- Inside Xbox May 7 Round-up: Assassin's Creed, Dirt 5, More | Digital Trends
- Sherlock Holmes: Sherlock Holmes Chapter One gets a release date, preorder gets you a free game
- Best PS4 and PS5 Games with mouse and keyboard support 2021
- PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S/X Launch Titles: Full List of Games for Next-Gen Consoles
- PS Plus September: GIANT PlayStation Store Double Discount event begins
- PS5 UK GAME restock: Guarantee yourself a PlayStation 5 for just £10
- Steam Machines Are Back
- Alienware Alpha Review: Close, But No Game Console
- World War Z Aftermath: Zombie shooter World War Z: Aftermath to launch today: New zombies, maps and more
- PS5 GAME, Amazon and Argos live stock alerts for HUGE week of PlayStation restocks
- Grand Theft Auto publisher has 93 games in the works – is GTA 6 one of them?
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Won't Launch on Steam, Is An Epic Games Store Exclusive have 623 words, post on www.gamespot.com at May 6, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.