The latest transfer news continues across the Premier League and here’s a look at some of the juiciest rumors.
[ VIDEO: Premier League highlights ]
First up, Philippe Coutinho has been linked with a move back to England with Chelsea his latest potential destination as they are said to be ‘in negotiations’ with Barcelona about signing him on a permanent deal.
The Brazilian playmaker is still a Barcelona player but he’s spent the 2019-20 season on loan at Bayern Munich.
According to The Sun newspaper the 27-year-old midfielder will leave Bayern at the end of this season with the Bavarian giants unwilling to trigger his $130 million release clause.
Arsenal, Tottenham and Man United are all said to be in the running to sign Coutinho but it is Chelsea who have taken the first step to sign the Brazilian who was sensational at Liverpool before his move to Barcelona 18 months ago. Coutinho never settled properly at the Nou Camp as he was shipped out on loan to Bayern and it is highly unlikely Barca will get even half of the $175 million they paid to Liverpool for him in January 2018.
Per the report, Coutinho would be available for between $65-80 million and that could be worth a punt for several Premier League clubs given his past form for Liverpool in England’s top-flight. His ability to drop his shoulder, dictate the tempo of a game and deliver stunning goals and deliveries from long-range is his trademark.
With Willian and Pedro both likely to leave Chelsea this summer, Frank Lampard will need some attacking reinforcements but he already has Hakim Ziyech arriving from Ajax, plus Christian Pulisic, Ross Barkley, Mason Mount and Callum Hudson-Odoi battling for spots in the attacking midfield positions. In terms of the other clubs interested in Coutinho, it would seem like Tottenham would be the best fit as they recently lost playmaker Christian Eriksen and both Man United and Arsenal seem set with their current attacking talents.
Coutinho’s quality means he would be a good buy for any Premier League club with his former manager at Liverpool, Brendan Rodgers, linked with a shock move to bring him to Leicester City. Coutinho may not fit in at Barcelona but he is still loved by many in the Premier League, even after his acrimonious departure from Liverpool.
Another player who sealed a big move but has failed to settle is Matthijs de Ligt.
The Daily Express say that Man United have made De Ligt one of their top targets for this summer as the 20-year-old Dutch center back has failed to impress after his mega transfer from Ajax to Juventus last summer.
De Ligt looked likely to head to Man United for most of last summer but instead joined Juve for $100 million but under Maurizio Sarri he’s struggled to be a regular and both parties are reportedly ready to move on when the next transfer window arrives.
A towering presence at the heart of Ajax’s defense in their run to the Champions League semifinals in 2018-19, plus a rising star on the international stage with the Netherlands, De Ligt’s game would be suited well to the Premier League.
Do Man United need another center back? Right now Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof have formed a pretty solid partnership in central defense, flanked by Luke Shaw and Aaron Wan-Bissaka, with Eric Bailly and Phil Jones back up center back options.
That said, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has used a 3-4-3 system on many occasions this season, especially against the Premier League big boys away from home, and that could mean there’s space for De Ligt, Maguire and Lindelof in the same lineup.
There’s no doubt Juve will be looking to recoup the vast majority of the $100 million they paid for De Ligt last summer but that’s unlikely. One potential deal suggested, per the report, is that Paul Pogba could head back to Juventus with De Ligt part of the deal.
Man United’s attack is set with Bruno Fernandes pulling the strings and the duo of Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford delivering. Shoring up midfield and defense should remain Solskjaer’s top priority and if De Ligt can regain the amazing form from his Ajax days, he would have a huge impact.
- Soccer transfer rumors: Christian Pulisic, Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea
- Latest transfer news and rumours in Friday's Boro blog
- Five Man United starlets who could head out on loan to Bristol City
- Man City transfer news RECAP
- Man United face Toby Alderweireld transfer standoff and more transfer rumours
- Real Madrid battle Man United for Milinkovic-Savic and more transfer rumours
- Manchester United transfer news RECAP
- Real Madrid 'make Man United star top priority'
- Man United in Kylian Mbappe bid worth £76m plus Anthony Martial
- Man United 'keen on Romania teen after Mourinho's latest scouting mission'
- Man Utd and Liverpool transfer plans could play into Man City hands
- Man United fans are saying the same thing about Bale after Zidane’s resignation
- Bristol City transfer news
- Stoke City transfer news: Seven of the biggest links with Gary Rowett so far
- Transfer News: Manchester City Closes in on $58m Midfielder, Liverpool Priced out of Signing New Goalkeeper
- Transfer News: Chelsea Close to Appointing New Manager, Man United Targets Spurs Defender
- Transfer News: Arsenal to Scout World Cup Stars, Bale Set to Wait Before Deciding His Future
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Targets Jurgen Klopp, Chelsea Ponders Zidane Move
- Transfer News: Manchester City Close in on $66m Deal for Midfielder, as Chelsea Chase Bayern Munich Star
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Wants Chelsea Star, Manchester Clubs to Battle for Kylian Mbappe
Transfer news: Coutinho to Chelsea, De Ligt to Man United have 925 words, post on soccer.nbcsports.com at April 4, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.