Pushed against the wall, hospitals across India have now started contacting individual blood donors to tide over the acute shortage of blood that most of them are facing with the continued lockdown due to COVID-19.Added to this is the confirmation from the Union Health Ministry that it was receiving several complaints over calls, and Twitter and other social media, on the denial of treatment to patients suffering from critical ailments other than COVID-19.Worst hit“The worst hit are patients requiring dialysis, having blood disorders, and pregnant women. We are now dipping very deep into our reserves and will find it very tough to carry on operations if we urgently don’t receive adequate blood supply. Now the crisis is such that we are calling listed donors and those with rare blood groups to come in and donate. Also, there is a shortage of the most commonly seen B-positive blood group,” said Himanshu Lamba, Consultant, Department of Lab Transfusion Medicine, Manipal Hospital in Dwarka.He added that hospitals are either calling donors personally or contacting them through SMS and even offering to arrange transport for them if they were finding it tough to come to the medical centres.Thalassemics fearfulThalassemics India, an NGO working for… Read full this story
- PMC Bank depositors protest outside Matoshree; CM Uddhav Thackeray assures all help
- UPDATE 2-Turkish cenbank to use required reserves for fine tuning in 2020
- Central bank policies help replenish banking sector liquidity
- Bank of England set for faster rate hikes if Brexit resolved
- Banks erect financial 'fence' as crisis sweeps Lebanon: association head
- Universal Credit dad forced to go to food bank after school uniform cost £200
- Christmas at a food bank: 'We're trying to change people's lives'
- Move to make banks safer could result in riskier temptations for savers
- Blood Type Linked to Earlier Decline in Fertility
- Argentine presidential front-runner seeks alternatives to austerity: advisers
Blood banks running on low reserves, seek urgent help have 307 words, post on www.thehindu.com at April 20, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.