The big, burly mechs of BattleTech are due a well-deserved rest. After a trio of expansions and two years of updates, developer Hairbrained Schemes has the itch for something new. In a message to players, studio co-founder Mitch Gitelman thanked the community for its support, as well as teasing what’s coming next.
“Thanks again for your support over the last four years of development,” said Gitelman. “Together HBS and our 55,000 backers delivered the first turn-based tactical MechWarrior experience in over 20 years. Our game has earned a lot of awards and accolades, and we are very proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish together. That success allowed us to continue supporting BattleTech with nine free updates and three big expansions.”
BattleTech’s not being abandoned, however. Another free update is coming this month, and while it will be the last, the studio will continue to maintain customer support. As for what’s following it, more details will be coming later, but for now we know that Hairbrained Schemes is working on two brand new, non-BattleTech projects.
I’d love another Shadowrun game with a tactical layer that’s as compelling as BattleTech’s, but “brand new” makes that extremely unlikely. Whatever the new games are, however, I’d be extremely surprised if at least one of them isn’t a turn-based tactical affair.
So pour one out for the metal behemoths and their considerably more squishy pilots. They’ve had a very good run. BattleTech’s one of the best strategy games on PC, and hopefully it won’t be the last time we see them duking it out in turn-based brawls.
- Former Towie stars Mario Falcone, James ‘Arg’ Argent, Chloe Lewis and Lauren Pope reunite for brand new project
- Brand new New York license plate designs
- Drilling Completed at ALLEGIANT’s Bolo Gold Project
- Video: Usain Bolt tries to prove he has the X Factor in brand new music clip… and sensationally fails
- Cruz Beckham shows off his Christmas Day gift of a brand new Gibson guitar
- Woman, 35, claims she could’ve been killed while driving brand new £21,000 Skoda Octavia which ‘cut out repeatedly on the MOTORWAY’
- Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot return as Batman and Wonder Woman and lead the Justice League in film’s brand-new trailer
- ‘They’re the new Thelma and Louise!’ Vicky Pattison and Ferne McCann to reunite for brand new TV gig
- Beauty and the Beast’s Emma Watson, Luke Evans and Emma Thompson shown in brand new character posters
- Ready Camp’s brand new UK site in stunning Dartmouth is glamping with a captial G