A Brit has described the eerie quiet aboard a quarantined cruise liner in Japan.
Pictures and footage on social media show the empty corridors, deserted lounges and barren deck of the Diamond Princess.
The ship is in quarantine in Yokohama, Japan, after it emerged a coronavirus patient spent a few days on the vessel.
Masked health workers clad in blue plastic gowns have been spotted roaming around the ship, while passengers stayed confined to their rooms.
British passenger David Abel said a newcomer would be shocked to discover there are actually 3,600 people aboard.
He said some of his fellow passengers ‘don’t give a damn about personal hygiene’ and slammed an American who had potentially spread germs at the dinner table.
Mr Abel added that medics had screened everybody after it came to light that an infected passenger flew into Tokyo and boarded the vessel.
Japanese authorities are racing to contain a potential spread of the superbug by isolating the ship and the thousands of people onboard.
The Diamond Princess ended its planned 14-day cruise early and is now docked off the coast of Yokohama.
Mr Abel added: “The only checks are hygiene at food time. Other than that staff are going about their business. You would not be aware there are 3,600 people onboard, that’s for sure.
“Staff are constantly cleaning and sanitizing public areas such as handrails and door handles. Passengers are requested not to use public toilets unless in emergency.
“The results from the health ‘samples’ taken will not be available until midnight. We are still anchored in the bay.
“The next announcement will be around 6:00 am local time. Nobody is able to book onward flights as we have no idea when quarantine will clear.”
An 80-year-old man, who was later diagnosed with coronavirus, boarded Carnival Japan Inc’s ship, in Yokohama on January 20 and disembarked in Hong Kong on January 25.
When the news emerged the ship was quarantined and guests underwent tests.
While waiting to be screened, passengers were asked to stay in their cabins, where they answered a questionnaire and had their temperatures taken.
Carnival Japan, a unit of British-American cruise operator Carnival Corp, confirmed that the turnaround of the ship had been delayed by about 24 hours for authorities to review the health of all 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew onboard.
About half of those onboard were Japanese, a company spokeswoman said.
- Coronavirus: First Brit dies of disease on Diamond Princess cruise ship
- Coronavirus cruise ship survivor, 66, reveals the deadly disease hit him 'hard and fast' and he spiked a high fever, but claims an earlier bout of bronchitis was worse
- Quarantining Japan cruise ship passengers led to more coronavirus cases: Study
- Australian family who caught coronavirus on the Diamond Princess cruise ship reveal how hard it was to battle the killer virus - and that the symptoms are worse at night
- UK passenger still in isolation after Japan cruise ship coronavirus outbreak says 'we're being really well cared for' after fellow ship Briton died of disease
- Captain of Coronavirus-quarantined Diamond Princess Hailed As a 'Hero' After He Is the Last Person to Leave Cruise Ship
- American coronavirus cases rise to 53: Five evacuees from the Diamond Princess cruise ship and one from Wuhan diagnosed with the infection in Texas - but Trump insists the outbreak is 'very much under control in the USA'
- Catalogue of blunders allowed coronavirus to spread like wildfire on Diamond Princess cruise ship where Brit died
- Australian tourist celebrating her 21st birthday on 'floating prison' cruise ship before she was struck down with coronavirus says it feels like she's 'just got a cold' and pleads to come home
- Coronavirus: 2,000 cruise ship passengers quarantined after tourist catches killer bug
- Coronavirus: Brit trapped on Japan cruise ship says he has 'never felt less loved' by UK
- Brit couple diagnosed with pneumonia after contracting coronavirus on cruise ship
- 119 Indians, 5 foreigners from coronavirus-hit Japan cruise ship land in Delhi on Air India flight
- Passengers infected with coronavirus on quarantined cruise ship rises to 174
- Coronavirus: First British coronavirus death as man from Diamond Princess cruise ship dies
- Cruise ship is held off at sea after California man dies from coronavirus 2 weeks after his trip
- 119 Indians, 5 foreigners from coronavirus-hit cruise ship land in Delhi on AI flight
- Coronavirus: Police use teargas as protesters target cruise ship over disease fears
- Two coronavirus-infected couples reunited at Nebraska hospital - but officials say this is the LAST time they'll move spouses evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship to be together
- First British coronavirus death as male passenger on quarantined Diamond Cruise ship dies in Japan
Brit describes eerie quiet onboard 'deserted' coronavirus cruise ship in Japan have 756 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at February 4, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.