A punter was allegedly served a pint of beer line cleaning fluid at a busy pub which left her mouth in agony.

Sarah Beavis’ partner says she suffered a badly burnt mouth after accidentally consuming the ‘drink’ at Walkabout in Newquay.

Her partner Dan Lister ordered what he believed was a pint of beer but says he saw Sarah start to panic after taking a mouthful.

He claims that when he smelt the glass it smelt of ‘bleach’.

Dan, who lives in Truro and works as a construction site manager, says that despite numerous complaints and emails he has yet to been given a formal apology for the alleged mix-up on January 12.

A spokesperson for Walkabout in Newquay told Cornwall Live they are in the process of a full investigation.

Dan said: “I’ve got a little girl so we went to Newquay to go to the aquarium.

“We used to live in Australia, only coming back 18 months ago so we thought we’d go to Walkabout for the nostalgia.

“We went up to the bar at about 1pm and there was a blackboard advertising Little Creatures which is a beer from Perth.

“I’ve had it before so fancied it. I asked if it was on.

“The girl behind the bar radioed her manager as there wasn’t a label on the pint and he told her what pump it was on. She then poured it.”

Dan then described how his partner, unsure of what to have, wanted a sip of his beer to see if she liked it with the view of ordering the same.

He added: “My partner tried it, she was full of cold so couldn’t really taste much at first.

“I was four or five feet away and not really paying attention as the football was on. To me it just looked like a badly poured beer with no head.

“But then, when she took a mouthful and ingested it, she started to panic.

“Sarah had her hand on her mouth and wanted something to split the fluid back into, eventually spitting it back into the glass.

“She was saying her mouth was burning and when I smelt the glass it tasted of bleach.”

Sarah was then given a glass of water and went to the doctors soon after, fortunately getting the all clear.

Dan, whose daughter Florence was born in Australia, made a complaint but claims that since then he’s been pushed from pillar to post between the pub and the chain that owns it.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

He said: “It’s all been so lackadaisical. We were served line cleaner which is corrosive and shouldn’t be ingested. Sarah was quite shaken up by this.

“We’ve had no apology and if I hadn’t been pushing it I wouldn’t have heard a word.

“I worked in bars in my 20s and done all my health and safety training through work and know the cleaning fluid shouldn’t been left in the lines.

“They should not have been doing this after 12 when they’re open to the public.”

A spokesperson for Walkabout in Newquay, said: “We are in the process of carrying out a full investigation into the incident.”