The original Nioh is a punishing action game set in Sengoku-era Japan. Created by Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive developer Team Ninja, it proved successful enough to warrant a sequel. Nioh 2 is set to release March 13 on PS4 and November for PC. If you’re a fan of the original or are just looking for something to test your mettle, you can pre-order multiple editions of the game ahead of launch.
Though we thoroughly recommend playing the original–GameSpot awarded it a 9/10 in our Nioh review–you will be able to enjoy Nioh 2 without any previous knowledge of the first game’s events. Set in 1555, Nioh 2 is technically a prequel and stars a nameless mercenary who happens to be part human, part yokai, which are supernatural creatures found in Japanese folklore.
From what we know so far, the story sees the protagonist square off against yokai during a critical juncture in a widespread conflict across Japan. We know Nioh 2 will use real historical figures throughout the adventure. Even the protagonist appears to be connected to historical figures, as it’s said that the part human side will be Toyotomi Hideyoshi, a samurai and ruler who is known for bringing the Sengoku period to a close. This fact is quite fascinating considering you’ll actually get to create your character in Nioh 2, so we’re curious to see how the real-life connections will play out.
Nioh 2’s combat mechanics will build off of the success of the original. Your player-created character can use four different fighting styles, including the familiar Ninja, Samurai, and Onmyo Magic styles, and the new Shiftling style that makes use of the protagonist’s yokai background. In addition to the weapons featured in the first game, you’ll also be able to use Dual Hatchets and the Switchglaive, which has multiple configurations that you can cycle through. A closed alpha and open beta in 2019 showed off the new combat mechanics.
Expect Nioh 2 to have a lengthy adventure, and this time around, you’ll be able to get help from a pair of friends in co-op (the original only had two-player co-op). Since Nioh 2 figures to provide a tough challenge similar to its predecessor, the more the merrier.
Ahead of Nioh 2’s March 13 launch on PS4, we rounded up all of the pre-order details you need to know below, including pre-order bonuses and the editions you can choose from.
Nioh 2 pre-order bonuses
Pre-ordering either a physical or digital copy of Nioh 2 will grant access to a number of bonuses. You’ll get the Demon Horde Armor set, Sudama Netsuke Charm, a PS4 theme, and three Nioh 2 PlayStation avatars.
Pre-order Nioh 2 standard edition
The $60 standard edition comes with all of the above pre-order bonuses and is available in both physical and digital formats.
Pre-order Nioh 2 Special Edition
The $80 Nioh 2 Special Edition comes with all of the pre-order bonuses, a steelbook case, art book, and season pass giving you access to post-launch DLC.
Pre-order Nioh 2 Digital Deluxe Edition
The $80 Digital Deluxe Edition is the Special Edition without the steelbook case and art book. While you still get the season pass and pre-order bonuses, you’re definitely better off grabbing the Special Edition. However, if you really prefer digital copies of games, you can pre-order the Digital Deluxe Edition at the PlayStation Store.
Best Deals This Week
- Madden 2022 Preorder Guide: Release Date, Editions, Bonuses, And More
- Psychonauts 2 Preorder Guide: Release Date, Game Pass Details, And More
- Back 4 Blood Preorder Guide: Beta Access, Release Date, And Editions Detailed
- The Masked Singer on FOX: Two-part season 6 premiere release date confirmed
- Resident Evil Village Release Date, Gameplay, System Requirements, Pre-Order Bonuses, More
- Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart Release Date, Review, Gameplay, Price, and More
- Outriders Release Date, System Requirements, Gameplay, Review, Bundle, and More
- Playdate pre-order date and price: Wallets at the ready for unique NEW handheld system
- 'Red Dead Redemption 2' releases a little earlier at Target than anywhere else
- New Nintendo Switch pre-order – where to buy Switch OLED in UK and US
- PS5 Restock India: Pre-Order PlayStation 5 on July 26
- Diablo 3 Season 24 start time, release date countdown for PS4 and Xbox One
- Dear Esther: Landmark Edition retrospective and interview – ‘there isn’t a single cut scene in there’
- Okami HD Switch review – definitive edition
- iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 Order Guide | Digital Trends
- Next "Smash Ultimate" Amiibo release date confirmed for March, pre-orders live
- The Sign O' The Times deluxe edition makes Prince's best album better
- Justice League Snyder Cut Blu-ray Release Date Set for May
- PS5 India Restock: PlayStation 5 Pre-Orders Restart On May 27
- PS5 India July 26 Restock: How to Pre-Order PlayStation 5 on Amazon, Flipkart, Croma, More
Nioh 2 Pre-Order Guide: Release Date, Pre-Order Bonuses And Special Edition (PS4) have 921 words, post on www.gamespot.com at January 27, 2020. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.