Dozens of British Airways flights into the UK have been delayed or cancelled after what the airline has described as a “technical issue”.
Flights from the US, India and Japan were showing up as delayed.
“Our teams are working hard to resolve a technical issue which is affecting some of our flights,” BA said on Twitter, in response to a passenger who had been delayed.
Some people have been put up in hotels and booked on other flights, it said.
A spokesperson for Gatwick Airport, where a number of BA flights have arrived late, blamed the delays on an issue with the airline’s system for handling flight plans.
They said the problem caused delays of around three hours for some long-haul flights arriving into the airport, which had a knock-on effect on departures.
The worst affected was Flight BA170 from Pittsburgh, in the US, which was more than 12 hours behind schedule.
It is the latest technical issue to affect the airline, which faced massive disruption in August when more than 100 flights were cancelled because of an IT glitch.
In a statement, BA said it was “very sorry for the disruption”.
It told customers to check its website for updates and make sure their contact details were up to date.
British Airways was hit by its first ever pilot strike in September when flight crews walked out in a row over pay and conditions.
Later that month, the airline revealed the industrial action had cost it at least €137m (£121m).
- LIVE: Metro passengers facing delays due to huge power cut
- Rail passengers face delays after trespassing incident near Gatwick
- Rail passengers face disruption after building deemed unsafe
- South Western passengers face three days of disruption amid guards row strike
- South Western Railway passengers face three days of disruption as workers strike
- BA passengers are being shunted onto a budget Belgian airline this week
- Flybe flight returns to Manchester due to ‘technical issue’ with door
- Technical issues hold up building of new Okehampton primary school
- Passengers faced chaos because train operator was not prepared for timetable changes
- Cardiff-bound plane forced to return to Greece by 'technical issue' on board
- Uber Eats customers face delays as workers in Plymouth on strike
- Wightlink ferries facing delays after man ‘jumps overboard’ outside Portsmouth Harbour
- Technical issues disrupt travellers on two Air NZ flights
- St Albans commuter’s face delays following broken down train
- Drivers face delays from tomorrow as work starts on city centre crossing
- Ryanair bounced cheques issued to passengers for delays and cancelled flights
- Passengers using First Potteries ticket app hit with 'technical issues'
- Fury as Wigan passengers face season ticket price hike
- Rail fare rises add ‘insult to injury’ for Hartlepool passengers after delays, cancellations and erratic services, says MP
- ScotRail passengers face train overhaul delay
BA passengers face delays after 'technical issue' have 446 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at November 21, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.