PASADENA, MD — Store closing sales at the footwear and athletic apparel retailer Olympia Sports begin today at four Maryland locations, just as the holiday shopping season gears up. The closings come as the company shuts down 76 stores nationwide; three other stores will stay open in the state.
The Maine-based chain was recently acquired by JackRabbit, which will continue to operate 75 Olympia Sports locations nationwide. At one time, the athletic brand assortment sold in more than 150 locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest.
The closing sales began Nov. 1 and included $44 million worth of inventory, the company said.
Below are the locations that are closing in Maryland:
- Aberdeen Marketplace, 1016 Beards Hill Road, Aberdeen
- Big Elk Shopping Center, 143 Big Elk Mall, Elkton
- North East Plaza, 103 North East Plaza, North East
- Lake Shore Plaza, 4159 Mountain Road, Pasadena
The number of brick-and-mortar businesses in Maryland continues to fluctuate as iconic chains dwindle and newer companies retrench in a bid to survive. Several national retailers announced store closings this summer, with plans to carry out those closings by the end of the year.
By the time the holiday shopping season arrives, Marylanders can expect fewer chain stores to choose from.
These Olympia Sports stores in Maryland will remain open:
- 10808 Town Center Blvd., Dunkirk
- 6400 Ridge Road, Eldersburg
- 122 West Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick
Here’s a look at the national retailers that announced store closings in recent months:
Kmart, SearsREAD MORE.
Bed Bath & BeyondREAD MORE.
Charming CharlieREAD MORE.
- The gyms and fitness chains closed during the coronavirus pandemic — and what some are offering instead
- Palace Cinemas closes all locations over coronavirus pandemic
- What stores are closing due to the coronavirus
- What stores are closing across the U.S. due to the coronavirus
- Brandix closes down its units at apparel park for a week
- AMC Theatres to Close for Six to 12 Weeks
- Maryland election board recommends no in-person voting
- What is essential? Retailers face confusion over government rules on store closings
- Gov. Cuomo unveils locations for makeshift hospitals, including the Javits Center, as he reveals NY coronavirus cases have hit 10,300 and 2 million masks and 6,000 ventilators are being rushed through
- Marine Killed, Wolf Closing, Coronavirus Guidance: News Nearby
- Regal to Close All U.S. Theaters Indefinitely Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- High street shut down: Chains including Zizzi, ASK, Byron, Beefeater and Prezzo close all restaurants across the UK as social distancing affects business and Burberry follows Zara closing 60% of stores
- Shops close across Turkey, dimming hopes of a boom year
- The Latest: Athletes' group call for Olympic postponement
- Waffle House closes 365 locations amid coronavirus pandemic
- AMC and Regal close all their movie theaters over coronavirus
- Traffic chaos at German-Polish border a threat to local supply chains?
- Athletes, Celebrities Get Coronavirus Tests, Raising Concerns Of Inequality
- Regal Closing All Movie Theaters Nationwide Due to Coroavirus Pandemic
- Pizza chain boss Frank Criniti to be sentenced on ex-wife’s assault
Athletic Apparel Chain Closing 4 Locations In Maryland have 483 words, post on patch.com at November 1, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.