CONNECTICUT — Olympia Sports, the prominent athletic footwear and apparel chain with outlets throughout New England, will close 76 stores, it announced on Friday.
Eight of those stores are in Connecticut.
The Maine-based clothier was recently acquired by sports retailer JackRabbit, which will continue to operate the remaining 75 stores under the Olympia Sports’ banner. The 76 closing stores were not part of the acquisition.
There is rarely a bright side to a retail chain closing of this magnitude, but this comes close: Olympia Sports has announced a “Store Closing Sale” which starts Friday, Nov. 1, and includes $44 million of inventory from the top brands in athletic footwear and apparel. Store wide discounts will be offered on all men’s, women’s and children’s sneakers, running shoes, basketball shoes, boots, joggers, sweatpants, hoodies, sweatshirts, long and short sleeved t-shirts, coats, socks, hats, and “much more,” according to a media release.
Olympia execs are working with store-shuttering savants SB360 Capital Partners, who expedited the endgames for Charlotte Russe, Charming Charlie, and Fred’s Inc.
“Olympia Sports has been the destination store for sports enthusiasts throughout New England and beyond for decades. Because of their reputation in the markets they serve, the ‘Store Closing’ discounts offered off Olympia’s already competitive prices will make for a very fast-paced sale,” said Aaron Miller, executive vice president of SB360.
Olympia Sports opened their first store in 1975 in South Portland, ME. Over the course of the next 44 years Olympia developed a premium athletic brand assortment sold in more than 150 locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest.
“The holidays are quickly approaching,” Miller said. “There’s no need to wait for Black Friday deals with Olympia’s store closing discounts starting this weekend.”
The locations in Connecticut are:
- Branhaven Plaza, 1060 West Main Street, Branford
- Bristol Commons Mall, 123 Farmington Avenue, Bristol
- Danbury Fair Mall, 7 Backus Avenue, Danbury
- Killingly Commons, 2129 Killingly Commons Drive, Killingly
- Fairfield Plaza, 116 Danbury Road, New Milford
- Sand Hill Plaza, 228 South Main Street, Newtown
- Compo Shopping Center, 403 Post Road East, Westport
- Eastbrook Mall, 95 Storrs Road, Willimantic
“The Olympia Sports stores occupy a space as the home-town favorite in most of the communities where the stores are located,” said Ziggy Schaffer, executive vice president of SB360. “They’re well known for providing superior customer service and offering great value on authentic athletic footwear and apparel. With liquidation pricing, Olympia’s shoppers will have an opportunity to get the best product at the lowest price.”
- National retailer to open new branch
- Two major US retailers take harder line against guns in wake of Florida massacre
- 14 chain shops 'close every day'
- The full list of Marks and Spencer stores that are set to close
- French Connection close to profit after annual losses narrow
- Montreal's Tallest Residential Tower to Rise Near National Bank
- Major fashion retailer closure is ‘disappointing’
- Administrations come amid bleak winter for retailers
- Big-name stores to open on retail park
- Toys R Us to close all 100 UK stores in next six weeks
- Retail park would ruin us
- Retail park would ruin us: Mansfield mayor speaks out
- Government shelves National Safari Park
- Peterborough based Toys R Us slashes prices as it launches closing down sale
- Toys R Us to hold 'massive' closing down sale at Aberdeen store
- DESPERATE MEASURES: Helen & Douglas House to close one of its hospice centres and cut jobs
- Jobs at risk as Homebase considers closing 40 stores
- 'We have located the site of the 1066 Battle of Fulford'
- Shock as historic Portsmouth pub reveals it will close for good – in TWO days
- Shock as historic Portsmouth pub to close for good tomorrow
Another National Retailer Closing 8 CT Locations have 578 words, post on patch.com at November 1, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.