(Adds European Commission declines comment, Broadcom no immediate comment, details)
By Foo Yun Chee
BRUSSELS, Oct 4 (Reuters) – U.S. chipmaker Broadcom will be told by EU antitrust regulators this month to suspend certain business practices including exclusivity clauses with TV and modem makers, a person familiar with the matter said on Friday.
Such a decision would be the European Commission’s first interim order in almost two decades. The measure prohibits certain activities until the regulator completes its investigations, which typically take several years, and could pave the way for similar action against other tech companies.
The EU executive will brief national competition agencies on Oct. 7 on its proposed interim measure before taking a formal decision and informing the company, the person said.
The Commission declined to comment.
Broadcom did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment. The company has previously said it did not expect a material impact on its set-top box or broadband modem business from such a move by the Commission, and that an interim measure would not preclude it from continuing to sell any products.
Interim measures are rare because of the high bar proving a company’s practice would cause lasting harm to market competition. The Commission’s last order, 18 years ago, was thrown out by an EU court after the company then involved challenged it.
EU competition authorities opened the Broadcom investigation in June and detailed to the company why the interim measure might be necessary to avoid irreparable harm to the market.
Regulators are looking into Broadcom’s practices such as exclusive purchasing obligations and tying rebates or other benefits to exclusive or minimum-purchase requirements.
Broadcom defended itself at a closed door hearing in August. Participants included Intel, MediaTek, Quantenna which is a unit of ON Semiconductor and Humax . (Reporting by Foo Yun Chee; editing by Philip Blenkinsop and Pravin Char)
- Margrethe Vestager to Broadcom: Stop exclusivity deals until EU probe ends
- EU Commission charges Qualcomm with antitrust violations
- US-China tensions escalate as top US tech companies reportedly cut off business with Huawei
- Ukraine suspends talks on EU trade pact as Putin wins tug of war
- Boris Johnson unveils instant No Deal Brexit drive as EU declares UK isn't ready
- EU, China seek closer ties as US turns against trade
- Ten cities ask EU for help to fight Airbnb expansion
- EU powers urge Donald Trump to get behind pact limiting Iran's nuclear ambitions
- The Latest: Merkel wants quick deal on head of EU Commission
- Facial Recognition Effects in Focus as EU Seeks 'Human-Centric' Regulation of Technology
- The EU antitrust probe into Amazon is now official, could lead to a $23 billion fine
- Feds say Bitcoin miner maker Butterfly Labs ran “systematic deception” [Updated]
- Can YOU spot the real person? Creepy AI can now create ‘100 per cent lifelike’ human faces from scratch (as well as animals, cars and even bedrooms)
- A guide to all Imperial enemies in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- When their parents faced money troubles, these young adults stepped in
- EU appoints antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager to be vice president of digital policy
- Another YEAR of Brexit? Fury over claims May 'will keep UK tied to the EU for 12 MORE months' - after bloc's leaders dismiss her compromise plea and DITCH crunch summit
- ASL Intends to Spin Off U.S. Business with a Valuation of Approximately HK$3 Billion Listed on Nasdaq
- May warns MPs they face 'moment of decision' after EU agrees just a TWO WEEK Brexit delay until April 12 before Britain crashes out if her deal fails again... but that UK can stay in bloc until May 22 if she finally gets it through
- EU threatens to delay Brexit until January even if a deal IS struck: France and Germany warn Boris Johnson they would need two months to iron out details... as talks resume this morning after midnight deadline blows by
UPDATE 1-Broadcom faces EU order to suspend some business practices - source have 625 words, post on finance.yahoo.com at October 4, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.