GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Last week’s 24-hour Pokemon Sword and Shield livestream gave us our first look at what many assumed was a Galarian form of Ponyta. The Pokemon Company has now made it official and shared some more details about the newly discovered Pokemon.
Whereas the recently revealed Sirfetch’d is exclusive to Pokemon Sword, Galarian Ponyta can only be found in Pokemon Shield. Unlike a standard Ponyta, it has a sparkling purple mane and a small horn on its head, much like a unicorn. It’s also a Psychic-type, rather than Fairy as previously assumed.
According to the Pokemon Sword and Shield website, “Galarian Ponyta have been found in a certain forest of the Galar region since ancient times. It is said that they were exposed to the overflowing life energy of the forest over many generations, and this is why their appearance became unique in this region.”
Galarian Ponyta has two possible Abilities. The first is Run Away, which guarantees you’ll be able to flee wild battles. The second is a new Ability called Pastel Veil; this prevents Galarian Ponyta and its ally in a double battle from becoming poisoned. If an ally is already poisoned when Galarian Ponyta enters the field, it will automatically cure that Pokemon of its status ailment.
Pokemon Sword and Shield launch for Nintendo Switch on November 15. You can take a look at all the new Gen 8 Pokemon revealed so far in our gallery. For more details on where you can reserve a copy of the games and what pre-order bonuses you can get, be sure to check out our Pokemon Sword and Shield pre-order guide.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email [email protected]
- Police officials reveal that shootings are up 19% this year as 5 are slain in one day
- Richard Matt threatened federal border agent with gun before he was fatally shot, officials reveal
- Officials Reveal Cause of Massive Jersey Shore Boardwalk Fire
- Officials reveal name of Jersey Shore drowning victim from Yonkers
- NY Giants’ Super Bowl XLVI championship ring officially revealed, Big Blue holds private ceremony at Tiffany’s in Manhattan
- Meet New York’s newest ‘millionaires’ as Lottery officials reveal winners
- Two fall from cliff reportedly playing Pokemon Go
- Cops: Central NY boy hit by sword swung by father
- Aurora 'Dark Night' massacre: James Holmes' assault rifle malfunctioned, potentially saving several lives, officials say
- Summerfest reveals new U.S. Cellular stage for 2018