This week, an episode of the long-running, Alex Trebek-hosted game show Jeopardy! featured a question about Tetris, and the incident now has me questioning every bit of trivia I’ve learned from the quiz show.
The question — or rather answer; this is Jeopardy!, after all — pondered what video game has puzzle pieces named Orange Ricky, Hero, and Smashboy.
Here’s the wording on that clue, as it appeared in a recent episode:
Jeopardy! contestant Jessica Garsed gave the correct response to that clue: “What is Tetris?” Only, that’s not correct at all. Officially, the names of Tetris tetrominoes are not Orange Ricky, Hero, and Smashboy, nor are they Blue Ricky, Teewee, Rhode Island Z, or Cleveland Z. All of those names apparently come from a viral image that circulated earlier this year, purported to be from the NES Tetris instruction manual.
In February, Twitter user “vecchitto” tweeted out the following goof:
That’s not part of the actual Tetris instruction booklet, but apparently someone at Jeopardy! took that image at face value (or their own goof embarrassingly made it to broadcast), resulting in this week’s bit of incorrect Tetris trivia.
Here’s a clip from this week’s episode:
When the official Jeopardy! Twitter account tweeted out the clue this week, the official Tetris account responded with a little shade.
We’ve reached out to the folks at Jeopardy! to see how this mixup might have happened and if the show plans to correct the error.
- What’s Wrong With This Picture: Taking The PR At Face Value Edition
- Touts selling England World Cup tickets at five times face value
- Don't bet against Diana Taurasi in winner-take-all games
- Red Sox Hold Off Yankees in Game 4, Face Astros in ALCS
- Take a Hyundai Accent, Add Value, and You Get the 2017 Hyundai Accent Value Edition
- The best 2018-19 MLB free agents: Taking stock of their market value so far this season
- Clay Matthews takes line drive to face in charity softball game
- Clay Matthews needs surgery after taking line drive to face during charity softball game
- MLB Monday scores, highlights, live team updates, news: Draft takes center stage; Severino faces Tigers
- Pete Carroll has funny take on having to face Damon Harrison