Fleabag has won the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series, snagging the title from some seasoned competitors. This was a tight year for comedy, with Veep, Barry and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel reprising their nominations and Fleabag, The Good Place, Russian Doll, and Schitt’s Creek all getting first nods. Fleabag, which returned this summer with a second season, had the momentum to unseat the rest.
The critically acclaimed series started as a one woman show in Edinburgh, written, directed, and starring Phoebe Waller-Bridges. The first season, a joint production between BBC and Amazon Studios, aired in 2016. Known for its distinct fourth-wall breaking and colorful cast, Fleabag centers on the titular character, a messy, dysfunctional woman living in London and her messy, dysfunctional family. The second season introduced Andrew Scott as The Priest.
Fleabag also won the awards this year for Best Actress (Phoebe Waller-Bridges as Fleabag), Best Writing (also Phoebe Waller-Bridges), and Best Directing (Harry Bradbeer), and also had two nominations in the Best Supporting Actress category for Sian Clifford and Olivia Coleman
- Jane Lynch and Cyndi Lauper are teaming up for new Netflix comedy series being billed as a 'Golden Girls for today'
- Fire Island Comedy Series ‘Trip’ From Joel Kim Booster & Jax Media In Works At Quibi
- 'Everyone deserves second chances, bro': Logan Paul says he's been treated fairly after YouTube dropped him from comedy series in wake of suicide forest video
- HBO Europe Orders Spanish Comedy Series 'Whatever'
- Amazon’s Audible expands its original programming with new comedy series
- Hilary Duff is a goddess in gold while filming wedding scene on set of comedy series Younger
- Megan Amram Gets an Emmy Nomination for
- Emmy Awards 2019 winners: Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Jodie Comer scoop gongs in big night for Brits
- Is Fleabag on Netflix: How to Stream 'Killing Eve,' 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' and Other Emmy-Winning Shows
- 2019 Emmys: ‘Game of Thrones’, ‘Fleabag’ win big