GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Borderlands 3 was first announced in April of this year, and now we’re just days from its official release date: September 13. The new first-person shooter from Gearbox Software will launch on PS4, Xbox One, and PC, with the latter version exclusive to the Epic Games Store until April 2020.
If you can’t wait to get your hands on Borderlands 3 this weekend, here’s a way to save yourself some money if you’re purchasing for PS4 or Xbox One. According to deals site Cheap Ass Gamer, Walmart stores will be selling Borderlands 3 for $49.94 rather than $60 on release, a growing trend we’ve seen with other recent games like Astral Chain and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. You’ll have to physically go to your nearest Walmart store to take advantage of this offer; it doesn’t appear to be available online.
Alternatively, Amazon and Best Buy shoppers can get $10 reward credit if they pre-order Borderlands 3. At Amazon, this offer is exclusive to Prime members, while Best Buy’s deal is available to My Best Buy members (you can sign up for free). Borderlands 3’s other pre-order bonuses include a gold weapon trinket and gold weapon skins for all guns in the game. You can read more about the game’s various editions and what they contain in our Borderlands 3 pre-order guide.
The game earned an 8/10 in our Borderlands 3 review for its unique enemies and environments, new Vault Hunters bringing a variety of playstyles, and strategic weapon builds, although GameSpot’s Jordan Ramée did take issue with the game’s bullet-sponge bosses and disappointing villains. “Borderlands 3 has a few stumbling blocks when it comes to bosses, but these fights are overshadowed by the game’s rewarding gunplay and over-the-top humor,” he wrote.
“The game’s character-driven narrative acts as a satisfying finale for the loot-shooter franchise, and the new mechanics and features–especially the reworked skill trees and weapon manufacturer effects–give you plenty of agency in how you want to play through it. If you’ve never been a fan of the franchise, it’s unlikely Borderlands 3 does enough things differently to change your mind, as the game best excels at continuing what the series has always done: deliver a humorous tall tale of misfits looting and shooting their way to heroism.”
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email [email protected]
- Mega Man 11 arrives October 2 on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC. It ditches the 8-bit art style for mo
- EB Games Canada offering double trade credit on PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch games on June 7
- EB Games ‘Amayzing Sale’ offers up to 50 percent off PS4, Xbox One and Switch games
- These are the top PS4, Xbox and Nintendo Switch games we'll see at E3 2018
- Mega Man 11 brings new tricks to Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC on October 2
- Sega Genesis Classics brings over 50 16-bit classics to PS4, Xbox One, and PC today
- Metal Wolf Chaos, A Game About Presidential Robot Battles, Is Finally Getting Released In America
- Active military and veterans can save with Independence Day discounts
- How to get free and discounted treats from San Antonio's new Potbelly next week
- Tech entrepreneur's Silicon Valley compound gets $33 million discount