The biggest takeaway from Netflix‘s teen drama 13 Reasons Why is supposed to be that everyone can afford to be kinder — but some fans have clearly missed the point.
Since the third season of the show debuted on Netflix debuted on August 23, a controversial new character named Ani Achola has inspired some very strong reactions on social media.
But unfortunately, it’s not just the fictional teen getting hate: The real-life actress who plays the role, Grace Saif, has been the subject of cruel online comments, which have grown so nasty that the 23-year-old British actress has wiped her Instagram clean and set her Twitter to private.
New star: Grace Saif joined the cast of 13 Reasons Why as Ani Achola in season three
Rude: Many viewers hate the character — but a few have directed that hatred at Grace herself, writing nasty things on social media
Social media: Grace, 23, has since wiped her Instagram clean, deleting all of her photos
Protecting herself: The British actress just made her television debut but has set her Twitter to private
Grace just joined the cast this season as Ani, the new girl at school — who falls right in with all the students involved in the town’s ongoing drama.
But she’s not just a supporting character. Ani serves as season three’s narrator, playing an integral part in the events that unfold.
And not everyone loves her, with critics calling her ‘annoying af,’ conniving, ‘the worst part about season three,’ and ‘the worst character ever written.’
But some viewers are turning their hatred on Grace herself.
‘Hey @gracesaif, thanks for ruining the third season of 13 reasons why! You did an outstanding job,’ wrote a young woman named Chara from Michigan/
‘@gracesaif no one likes you on 13 reasons! Why does your character even exist,’ another girl named Anna Lisa tweeted.
‘@gracesaif Honestly ruined season 3, by far worst character out of all the season. Awful choice,’ tweeted a third critic.
Angry: Several people have been cruel to her, saying that ‘no one likes’ her and that she ‘ruined’ the show
There have been even more rude tweets, though several have already been deleted after countless fans rushed to defend Grace and slam her haters.
So now, less than two weeks after making her television debut, Grace is not relishing in newfound fame but rather retreating.
She’s set her Twitter account to private, and deleted all of her previous Instagram posts.
But while she is keeping quiet, some of her castmates are rushing to her defense.
Timothy Granaderos, who plays Monty, shared a behind-the-scenes shot on Instagram including a smiling Grace.
‘Hey Y’all, just a reminder. Whether or not you support, like, or love, a character in our fictional tv show — please remember that there is a talented and beautiful actor/actress bringing those scripted words to life,’ he wrote.
Lesson: Her co-star Timothy Granaderos, who plays Monty, another controversial character, came to her defense and urged people to be kind
Cast support: Amy Hargreaves, who plays Clay’s mom, shared a similar message on Twitter, which was then liked by Alisha Boe, who plays Jessica
‘One of the underlining themes in our show is to take care of each other. I’ve seen some pretty nasty things being said online, concerning the introduction of a new character. Y’all are passionate & we love you for that, but PLEASE PLEASE try to be kind and respect the work of the talented actress/actor behind the character.
‘Love y’all & keep taking care of each other,’ he concluded.
And Amy Hargreaves, who plays Clay’s mom, also tweeted.
‘So many of us pour our hearts out working on this show. Please remember our ultimate message thru 3 seasons [email protected] Take care of each other and be kind,’ she wrote, getting a like from actress Alisha Boe, who plays Jessica.
Grace has also received plenty of support from fans.
’13 RW is a show to stop bullying and threatening at its first place, people often forgot this while hateful tweeting about @gracesaif. she did her job nicely, not her fault that she entered show when it already got boring due to script plots,’ wrote one.
Chill pill! Fans have also quickly rushed to show Grace support and tell of her haters
‘I just found out the actress @gracesaif who plays Ani Achola in #13ReasonsWhy3 has locked her twitter and deleted all her pics on social media due to the backlash of her character. this made me extremely sad. remember HATE THE CHARACTER NOT THE ACTOR,’ tweeted another.
And a third wrote: ‘In all seriousness @gracesaif who plays ani In #13ReasonsWhy does NOT deserve hate just because of the character she plays, yeah I don’t like the character either but it’s called acting, same with Justin (Bryce), he got shit because he played a rapist..yet he is super nice.
‘I feel so bad for @gracesaif… she is an ACTRESS who was playing a CHARACTER with lines and plot given to her by the WRITERS. the hate this woman is getting for HERSELF not her character is unbelievable. I’m truly disgusted and feel so sorry for her,’ said one more.
- '13 Reasons Why' Air Date: When Does Season 3 Premiere on Netflix?
- Amy Hart reveals she is taking a break from social media after trolls criticised her teeth... as she says the 'be kind' message 'only lasted two days'
- The Zombie Social-Media Accounts of Canceled TV Comedies
- Texas man, 23, is ARRESTED for lying about testing positive for coronavirus in social media post sparking panic that jammed hospital phone lines
- Rapist Harvey Weinstein is diagnosed with 'dangerously high blood pressure' after he was rushed to hospital just hours after being sentenced to 23 years in prison
- Sonam Kapoor comes to Kanika Kapoor’s defence, faces the wrath of social media trolls
- EXCLUSIVE: Katie Price DISABLES her Instagram account after hinting she needed to 'take a break' from 'horrible' world of social media
- Soni Razdan tweets video of distraught passengers at IGI, deletes it after Delhi Airport says it's old
- Harvey Weinstein’s lawyers brand rapist’s 23-year prison term ‘cowardly’ and accuse judge of ‘caving’
- Supreme Court social media rap-lyrics case brings Eminem into the fold
- Hollywood mourns a screen legend as Kirk Douglas dies aged 103: Spartacus star’s heartbroken son Michael says ‘Dad – I love you and am so proud to be your son’ while Spielberg says the actor ‘retained his movie star charisma to the end’
- Presley Gerber Claps Back at Social Media Users Who Thought He Got a Second Face Tattoo
- Harvey Weinstein on suicide watch after being sentenced to 23 years behind bars
- 'I'll leave you a million (followers)!' Will-writing company offers new tool to help influencers value and bequeath their lucrative social media accounts - but Instagram argues it's 'against policy'
- 'We've been pitted against each other': Dua Lipa wants to see more 'unity' between women and says social media is a breeding ground for anxiety as she graces Vogue Australia's April issue
- 'I am concerned, but I've lived a few years': Brian Cox, 73, believes social media has exacerbated coronavirus concerns because we're 'more aware'
- Jennifer Lopez Shares a Special Tribute to Selena Quintanilla 23 Years After Playing the Late Icon
- Happy Mother's Day! Victoria Beckham 'sends virtual hugs to all mums' and urges her fans to 'be resilient' as she and Amanda Holden lead the celebs sharing sweet tributes on social media amid the coronavirus pandemic
- 'Millionaires singing about "no possessions" from their mansions isn't easing my anxiety': Gal Gadot and her A-List pals branded 'out of touch' by social media users after 'cringe-worthy' viral rendition of Imagine
- Steven Spielberg's adopted daughter Mikaela, 23, comes out as a PORN STAR, revealing her dad is in complete support of her - as she opens up about being 'groomed and abused' as a child
13 Reasons Why actress DELETES social media after being bullied by viewers who say her character 'ruined the show' - as the 23-year-old's co-stars rush to defend her against trolls have 1321 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 3, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.