Roguelike platformer Spelunky 2 won’t make its previously scheduled 2019 release date. Developer Derek Yu broke the bad news on Twitter, saying that the follow-up to the original Spelunky simply needs more time.
“Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re going to get to release Spelunky 2 this year,” Yu said on his Mossmouth Twitter account. “Development is still going well and we’re not far off target, but the density and detail of the game is demanding more time.”
Yu did not commit to a 2020 release date.
“As soon as we have a release date for [Spelunky 2], we’ll make sure everyone knows!” Yu said. “We can’t wait to show you more, although of course the best way is for you to experience it for yourself at launch.”
Yu added that the teams at Mossmouth and Blitworks have “been adding more detail, as well as increasing the contrast to make existing details pop” based on player feedback.
- Bioware New IP Delayed Till Fiscal Year 2019 To “Further Develop The Live Service Component”
- New BioWare Action IP Delayed to Fiscal Year 2019: “The Design is Stunning”
- BioWare’s Anthem delayed to 2019, EA confirms
- Days Gone's Delay to April 2019 Seemed to Be a Forgone Conclusion
- Porsche’s 5 Series-fighting ‘Pajun’ delayed until 2019
- Legends of Aria Receives Delay Two Days Before Launch
- EA Stock Drops After Visceral Closed and Star Wars Game Delayed
- Mass Effect: Andromeda Hate Did Not Lead to BioWare’s New IP Delay
- Intel delays super fast 3D XPoint memory technology
- BioWare's new project has been delayed until at least spring 2018