The Indian captain, with 922 points, is on top of the list while Smith, after his twin Ashes hundreds in Birmingham and 92 at Lord’s, is on 913 points.
The other Indian in the top-10 is Cheteshwar Pujara, who stayed put at his fourth position.
Sri Lanka captain Dimuth Karunaratne made rapid strides, entering the top-10 at eighth with a jump of four ranking places. South Africa’s Aiden Markram also improved upon his ranking to be positioned sixth while England captain Joe Root paid for his slight slump in form to be at ninth.
In the bowlers’ list, Pat Cummins remained firmly entrenched on top of the table while Ravindra Jadeja improved from sixth place to fifth. His spin bowling partner Ravichandran Ashwin remained 10th.
Jadeja also remained third in the all-rounder’s list, led by West Indies’ Jason Holder, with Shakib Al Hasan placed second.
Meanwhile, India could lose their pole position in the ICC Test Team rankings, as even a 1-0 defeat by the West Indies in their upcoming series will see them slip to 108 points. That margin will be enough for the West Indies to overtake Pakistan to seventh position at 88 points.
India are on top of team table with 113 points followed by New Zealand (111 points) and South Africa (108 points).
- Indians dominate latest ICC Test rankings
- How Virat Kohli took India from 7th to 1st in ICC Test rankings
- Indians shine in latest ICC Test rankings
- India, Kohli maintain top positions in ICC Test Rankings
- 2019 IPL venue decided, latest ICC Test rankings out and more
- Virat Kohli, Kagiso Rabada maintain top spot in ICC Test Player rankings
- Virat Kohli, Jasprit Bumrah maintain top positions in ICC ODI rankings
- Virat Kohli above peers, destined for greatness: Kumar Sangakkara
- Australia embarrassed and in despair after first ever home loss to India – and Virat Kohli predicts they’ll lose the Ashes as well
- India need just one draw against Australia to hold on to top spot in Test rankings
- ICC Cricket Awards 2018: Virat Kohli becomes the first player to win all three major awards
- Virat Kohli completes unprecedented clean sweep to win ICC cricketer, Test and ODI player of the year
- Virat Kohli getting all the three top ICC awards is a proud moment, says Sunil Gavaskar
- Watch: Umpires step in to stop the physical battle between Virat Kohli and Tim Paine
- 5 reasons why Virat Kohli is the best cricketer in the world
- Watch: Virat Kohli shows off his dancing skills while fielding at slip cordon
- Hope Virat Kohli will fulfill my dream of winning a Test series in Australia, reveals VVS Laxman
- How Cheteshwar Pujara is getting the best out of Virat Kohli
- India vs New Zealand 2019, captains' corner: Virat Kohli vs Kane Williamson- Who’s better?
- Virat Kohli's tactics and the other reasons for India's loss
ICC Test Rankings: Steve Smith closes in as Virat Kohli maintains top spot have 487 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at August 19, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.