Borderlands 3 arrives in the waning days of the current console generation. With this in mind, some may be wondering whether it’ll be coming to next-gen consoles as well. Well, it looks like this may be the case, as Gearbox is hinting at possible Borderlands 3 PS5 and Xbox Project Scarlett ports.
Talking to GamesRadar at a recent preview event, Borderlands 3‘s Creative Director Paul Sage confirmed that both next-gen consoles haven’t gone unnoticed by the game’s development team. As part of this, he teases that the game may eventually go cross-gen.
“We’ve definitely looked at [bringing Borderlands 3 to next-gen],” stated Sage. “And we’re excited about it too. Any time you get a new playground to work in, you’re going to be excited about what it can do for you. So yeah, let’s just say we’ve looked at it, are super excited about, and can’t wait… but lets get this out on current consoles first before we go down that path.”
Borderlands games have gone cross-gen before. Back in 2015, Gearbox released Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, which included graphically upgraded versions of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The question then becomes whether or not a next-gen port of Borderlands 3 will receive the same treatment as these.
With the The Handsome Collection, considering the time between that and the originals releases, some would say that the graphical upgrades was necessary. However, next-gen ports of Borderlands 3 may not take as long as that. Gearbox could be looking to time the release to join the wave of cross-generational releases such as Cyberpunk 2077, Halo Infinite, Dying Light 2, and more. With this in mind, will Gearbox still deem it worth it to upgrade the game’s graphics? Or will it simply release a game that’s close or equivalent to the PC version at Ultra settings?
- Xbox Scarlett release news: Killer PS4 and PS5 feature coming to Xbox One successor?
- The Weekend in WNY: Bring on the Borderland
- Port Houston continues growth in cargo
- West Calcasieu Port receives new funding
- SC Ports welcomes 2019-20 Port Ambassadors
- Rick Ross' Port of Miami 2 Feels Like a Missed Opportunity
- New State Bill Would Require a PLA for Pure Water Project
- Bonus checks arrive for SC ports agency following record year
- SC ports agency CEO gets $330K bonus after record shipping year
- Review: Brilliant ‘Borderlands 3’ more than worth the wait