Poland said on Thursday (18 July) US President Donald Trump would attend events in Warsaw marking the 80th anniversary of the Nazi invasion of the country – though the White House said the trip was not yet confirmed.
The German invasion began on 1 September 1939, one week after the signing of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact between Germany and the Soviet Union. The USSR invaded Poland on 17 September. The campaign ended on 6 October with Germany and the Soviet Union dividing and annexing the whole of Poland under the terms of the German–Soviet Frontier Treaty.
Poland’s Deputy Prime Minister Jacek Sasin said other world leaders would come on 1 September to remember the offensive that led to the outbreak of World War Two.
“President Trump will definitely be there – this has been confirmed,” Sasin told Polish news portal wp.pl.
White House officials say Trump was still considering whether to go.
Poland’s ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party has focused on closer ties with Washington as part of its effort to deter aggression from an increasingly emboldened Russia.
Poland’s conservative administration agrees with Trump on migration, climate change, coal mining, abortion and other issues.
Trump last visited Poland in July 2017, where he made a speech vowing to defend NATO allies.
Last September Trump said the United States is considering a request from Poland for a permanent US military presence in the fellow NATO country, acknowledging that he shares Poland’s concerns about possible Russian aggression.
President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (18 September) the United States is considering a request from Poland for a permanent US military presence in the fellow NATO country, acknowledging that he shares Poland’s concerns about possible Russian aggression.
The US said last month it would increase its troop presence in Poland by 1,000.
- Poland hits back at EU with major veto threat set to anger Macron after huge £58M fine
- President Trump Meets President Duda: 'We've Never Been Closer to Poland Than We Are Right Now'
- Polish opposition duo hacked with NSO spyware, digital researchers say
- Poland abortion: Women 'scared to be pregnant' a year after near-total ban came into force
- Battle lines drawn: The two sides of Poland's abortion divide
- January 6 Anniversary Live Updates: Vigil underway on Capitol steps
- Biden attacks Trump's 'web of lies' in Capitol attack anniversary speech
- EU accused of failing to address Russian ‘aggression’ as Ukraine invasion looms
- 'EU knows only one method... racketeering!' Fury as Poland set to lose £37m a MONTH
- Trump Defends Tariffs, ‘Rebuilt’ China with Tremendous U.S. Money | Breitbart
- Poland is the "only country that never collaborated" with Nazis and Soviet Union, says defense minister
- Don’t Cry Fascism When Trump Praises ‘Family, Freedom, Country, and God’
- It’s Been Six Months With Trump. Are You Tired of Winning Yet?
- U.S. airborne infantry troops arrive in Poland amid tensions
- Division reigns over Jan. 6 anniversary
- Sunday shows - Trump-Pence division in the spotlight
- Biden condemns Trump as a threat to democracy in speech marking one year since January 6 attack
- Rubio says 'vice presidents can't simply decide not to certify an election'
- Why Donald Trump and Liz Cheney Are Locked in an Endless Feud
- 'Proud Boy' detained as thousands attend Melbourne Invasion Day rally
Warsaw says Trump to attend invasion of Poland anniversary have 519 words, post on www.euractiv.com at July 19, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.